ReefCleaners.org

Could I put this in my tank?

Djm9288

Hey, lately i have been battling tons of hair algae, I was wondering if it is safe to put 1 small lettuce nudibranch in my 10g? It has taken over all of my tank! I want it gone. If you have any suggestions please post them.

Daniel

i just saw your site, nice setup. a larger pic of the main tank would help :P

you may want to let your tank cycle some more and/or add some phosguard or equiv. to battle the algae. your site says there's nothing in your tank other than the LR so there's probably die-off exuding from them.

putting the nudi in there will concentrate the nutrients into its biomass or convert it into its wastes but you're not really exporting any of the nutrients that is promoting the hair algae. my concern is that nudi's typically pass on rather quickly (<1 year) and re-introduce all they have eaten as they decay versus continual growth. just mo though.

Are you using tap water? I'm just trying to figure out where all the hair algae is getting food from. Tap water is the usual source but coluld be lack of water change too.

I see no problem adding the nudi. Some blue/red leg hermits would help a lot too.

What lights are you running? How long are you running them for? Any finally, does your temp stay stable? Some heavy temp. fluctuations can promote problematic algae growth like that.

Cameron

Do what I did. Find some liverock with absolutely no hair algae on it. Put it in a clean tank with lotsa base rock. And let that liverock seed the base rock.

Drawbacks - 1) takes forever 2) takes FOREVER 3)difficult to get rock with absolutely no hair algae.

I agree with tinyreef, you must fight the source of the hair algae itself--the excess nutrients. Sort that out and the hair algae will disappear.

Use RO or even RODI water for all water changes and top-ups.

What are your water parameters? --Nitrate, Phosphate?

Test for these and it will be easy to figure out the correct solution.

Archived