Cultivated Reef

First coral pic, how to make this sharper?

ninjamyst

Did you take the time to cut all the flow in the tank off?

One thing that I notice is that it looks like you are running a strong noise reduction in Post process. Since there is no issue with a dark background, try bringing the iso back down to 100.

Overall, it actually looks like a good shot though.

Did you use a 2-second timer to take the shot? If not that might help too.

yup, i did

In addition, make sure the mirror is up prior to taking the shot and raised, as it is normally, at shot time. There should be a button for this.

I was using Live View to focus so I think that means mirror is up

Did you take the time to cut all the flow in the tank off?

One thing that I notice is that it looks like you are running a strong noise reduction in Post process. Since there is no issue with a dark background, try bringing the iso back down to 100.

Overall, it actually looks like a good shot though.

I am actually really confused by this because I only had the ISO at 500 but the picture was very grainy so I ran strong noise reduction in Lightroom. I took several shots at ISO 200 too and they were also grainy. I usually experience this when there's not enough light shining on the subject. But with flash on, I didn't expect this at all.

SouthFlorida_Tron

try single focus points and try manual focus, dial in on the first polyp, and let it focus, then click. i would change the iso down to 100... dont really need such high iso when lights are on lol

Take a look at your settings with your noise reduction. If it's too aggressive it'll soften the overall image as well. At ISO 500 you shouldn't have to use any at all.

I haven't used noise reduction in years.

I am actually really confused by this because I only had the ISO at 500 but the picture was very grainy so I ran strong noise reduction in Lightroom. I took several shots at ISO 200 too and they were also grainy. I usually experience this when there's not enough light shining on the subject. But with flash on, I didn't expect this at all.

Regardless of anything else, I'm actually surprised that you get much noise at ISO 500 let alone 200. To me, this suggest a lack of light as well, however, I have never gotten noise when using a speedlite. I really don't know what to tell you because I do not even know what the image out of the camera even looks like. The more you have to change in post process, the more you loose image quality from doing so.

The photo you have looks really good as it is so the little extra sharpness you are looking for could easily have been lost to post processing. Also, you generally have to add sharpness to an image to get it tack sharp anyway. An Out of Camera image and and Exif file can really go a long way to identifying minor issues

I think it was a combination of things. I had the frag placed very close to the edge of the tank so it probably wasn't getting enough light on the front. With the LEDs bright in the background only, it was probably a "backlight" issue. For some reason, the flash is not penetrating the glass or something. I know it sounds stupid but my pictures come out darker with the flash unless I angle it perfectly. It's hard for me to take a pic of the same frag again since I moved it and it's further back. 60mm not very long =P.

But I did manage to get a shot of my new firefish that came out when I turned off the pump. I think having the pump off is key to getting good pics. Thanks for the suggestion Bishop!

9601345789_7ffcba5184_z.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

As you said in your last post, turning off the pump is key. That will also allow you to slow down the shutter speed, which will allow you to do two crucial things- lower the ISO and stop down your aperture. I would say for a photo such as the first one you posted here, you should try to use an aperture of no greater (smaller number, bigger hole) than f/11.

In this photo, I shot at f/22.

1ns_zpsa5377258.jpg

A follow-up question...what white balance do you set the camera to? I am having trouble getting good shots under full actinic. The colors are dull compared to what I see.

That's a good question, and one that will lead to great photos. That you already know about understand white balance makes it even easier. The not secret secret I use is shooting in RAW and then adjusting the white balance in post processing.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good question, and one that will lead to great photos. That you already know about understand white balance makes it even easier. The not secret secret I use is shooting in RAW and then adjusting the white balance in post processing.

Correct aperture, tripod, shooting perpendicular to the glass, pumps off, and post processing a raw is really all there is between the average photo and the great ones when it comes to aquarium photography.

Archived