Top Shelf Aquatics

All in One Lens?

VABumpkin

Hey guys this question has been bothering me for a bit now. I know that most people use macros to shoot corals and fish, because of the greater magnification and life-like bokeh. But what do people use for just plain old FTS's? Can you use a macro lens as your work-horse lens or should I be focusing on getting dedicated lenses for each job? Thanks.

I usually use my macro lens for the tank shots as well. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll switch over to the 10-20mm for an FTS with more depth, but I'm too lazy most of the time.

A quality macro is probably a better choice than a 18-55mm kit lens if those are your options, AND you can back up far enough to get the whole tank in your picture, you'll probably get a better picture with the macro and a tripod.

If you owned something like a 24L or an EF-S 10-22, I'd use one of those for sure though.

If you're looking for another lens to pick up in addition to a macro, I'd suggest something like a 50mm F/1.4 or F/1.8, as they're great all around primes for a great price.

In short, I'd buy a second lens for the other things you might want to shoot with it, and if it happens to be a better FTS lens, then so be it.

Thanks guys! my t2i has been without a good lens for about 3 years now and I'm sick of it. So I think a macro is a good choice. most likely the canon 100mm.

So I've come to another issue: 100mm macro, or 100mm IS macro. I'm not sure how many people use the IS version but shooting in a confined space with a tripod might be an issue in the case of the non-IS lens. not to mention the IS function manages to constitute a $500 jump in price, which I think is outrageous. So my question is, do most people use macros without image stabilization, or vice versa? And in the case of no Image Stabilization, is it convenient or easy to use a tripod even when shooting extremely tiny subjects?

Do you have the tank in a closet, or somethin'? :P

I use the non-IS version with no problems at all. IS gives me the willies and the price is crazy like you said. Depending on the lighting over the tank, a tripod might not be necessary if you get fast enough shutter speeds without it. A tripod is easy to use though and is almost mandatory if you want to use smaller apertures for larger DOF.

lol it's in my bedroom and there's only about four feet between the tank and my bed. My bed is low however so if a tripod is necessary it could sit on the bed.

lol it's in my bedroom and there's only about four feet between the tank and my bed. My bed is low however so if a tripod is necessary it could sit on the bed.

Yeah, 100mm is not going to work. I would have trouble with my 60mm macro at that distance.

well longer distance is an option as well. I can go between 9-12 feet away as well if that makes a difference. That's the space between the bed and the other side of the room.

The 100L is the same as the non-L except for the addition of the IS. And frankly, IS is awesome when your subject isn't moving. However if you are buying a macro to do tank work, buy a tripod. You'll want to take pictures with a macro that will have great depth of field, you'll want small apertures which will commonly mean shutter speeds of a few seconds. Sadly, there's no IS system that'll let you do seconds of exposure.

well longer distance is an option as well. I can go between 9-12 feet away as well if that makes a difference. That's the space between the bed and the other side of the room.

That's a lot more realistic.

Archived