Pod Your Reef

Is it important to complete cycle before adding macros?

duganderson

I'm setting up a 10 g. frag tank. I will be adding water from my current tank and 1-2 lbs of live rock from my current tank. I'll also be adding a few lbs of non-live rock and a bio wheel filter. I can add my filter floss from my reef tank to the new filter to help speed up the cycle too.

Can I add my macros right away or do I need to make sure the tank completes it's cycle. I was wondering if a complete cycle is necessary since macros utlize nitrates and phosphates.

If cycle is necessary, what could I add to speed up the cycle? How quickly could I then add the macros?

The macros would be ther only thing in the tank in addition to the rock for now.

Do I need to add food occasionally (like Reef Chili) or add a small fish?

Thanks

Macros should be alright right away. Many of them can consume ammonia directly.

Yup, thats what I did. Added macro before the cycle ended.

While I'm waiting for the tank to complete the cycle and adding some 'not live' rock to the tank, should I feed this 10 g. frag tank if it only has macros in it?

OR

Will it likely get fed from die off from some of the 'not live' rock I'm adding.

The rock I'm adding used to be live but has been in a bucket with saltwater for 1.5 year. I had a power head in there for the first 1 year or so but then pulled it out. I'm assuming this live rock is not live anymore.

• 1 month later...

Archived