Pod Your Reef

Xenia eating crab???

Sahin

I finaly got him. Have a look at these pics of this crab.

Its one of those brown hairy types.

I saw him lingering around the rock where the Xenia was and the next day the Xenia was eaten up. He's been in the tank from day one. I only noticed him about a month ago when Xenia started to go missing. I spent ages trying to figure out how to catch him. He is extremly fast for a crab and would dart into dark crevices as soon as he saw me.

But I came home last friday night (was past 12) and my bro was in my room, and had the light on...thats when I saw him right on top of the candy cane coral...

I washed my hands and took out the whole candy coral bunch and then poked him out.

I suspected my Orange Fromia starfish for a long time and eventually got rid of it and yet the Xenia eating carried on.

The Xenia is once again growing back.

Hopefully the mystery is solved.

Here he is.

I have the same crab living in a colony of star polyps in my tank. I have never had a problem with it though my flowerpot coral has not extended its polyps in a while, the crab might be the culprit.

crabs are NOT to be trusted! : i had an emerald stuffing his face with xenia right in front of me! @#$#%!

hell, i saw my clown eating it too. had an engorged belly by the time he stopped. little sonaofbeech! :angry:

Yeah, I wouldn't trust crabs in my tank either... I've got 2 small hermits but they've been there from the very start and haven't touched anything so I'll let them be. But if I had anything like you have Sahin, it's out of there!

Calappa or Macropiapepous Species. I have seen them terrorize and pick a meal from a reeftank like a 200 # Belugah Whaler at 400 item All You Can Eat "GOLDEN CORRAL" Buffet.... it sucks. SOME are good as long as U have enough food for them.

i thought so too! :*( this was back when they first became widely available.

i've heard of and seen those crabs living very contently within reefs though. but you can imagine how ####ed off i was when i saw it plucking the xenia polyps like grapes!

heck, i've caught my clown munchin' on xenia and colt polyps! friggin fish!

Archived