SaltCritters.com

Sexual halimeda?

Lalani

This past week I treated the 8gal biorb with chemiclean to combat the cyano and did about a 50% water change. Everything looks great and up until last night the halimeda was normal. But overnight, one stalk turned into this:

IMG_6114_1_zps6efb332f.jpg

IMG_6119_zpsea557d77.jpg

IMG_6120_zps1b0ff81f.jpg

Tiny little green stalks growing from each (now) dead section. The other halimeda is fine, but the water is slightly cloudy. Is it going sexual? I've never seen this happen before. :unsure:

I pulled it out, going to do a couple of water changes to prevent an ammonia spike.

Was the water cloudy? Mine has the same little new branches growing but it just turned white and then they started popping up. Not as dense as your though and the water didn't get any more cloudy than it normally is :P

• 1 month later...

I have not been able to grow it. When receiving GOM diver collected rock from 30' deep, I see the white scares healed over with coralline colors of different shades. It happens in nature as well.

I am intrigued by the situation of only mildly sexual activity with all the green stalks coming from the area affected. Lol.

I have had feather Caulerpa completely melt away with no grow back. In my 12 year old tank, two years ago, when I removed 75% of rock, on two of the rocks removed both red grapes and dragons breath sprouted after being introduced to a 29G Biocube with power compact bulbs. It had been five years since I had grown those two red macros. Go figure.

Patrick

Hey Patrick! I've had halimeda growing pretty nicely in my tanks for years, can't remember where I got the rocks that started growing it first.. And yeah, it was really strange that only stalk went sexual and the other 4-5 weren't 'in the mood'. :lol:

And wow, its amazing how macros can stay dormant for so long, then pop back up when conditions are right. Very cool!

Archived