ReefCleaners.org

went out of town and lost 2 fish

mxpro32

man i left town on thursday and my mom was watching my fish. but she had to spend the night at my brothers house because my sister in law is pregnant and was having contractions. my mom told my brothers friend to turn off my lights for me but the numbnuts turned off the whole surge protector so none of my pumps or anything were running. well my 2 anthias were the casualties. im kinda ####ed. couldnt he tell everything got quieter when he turned off the the thing with all the little cords coming out of it? my mom forgot about my 2 gallon and left the lights and fan on the whole time, when i got back today the water was halfway evaporated. my xenia was all wilted but luckily my shrimp was still alive. numbnuts turned off the surge protector on my 7 gallon also so my powerehead and one of the lights wasnt on but everything was fine. man i dread ever leaving my tanks alone again.

Sorry to hear that! I am leaving town on a 4 day vacation in about 3 weeks. I dread leaving my aquariums all alone too. At least I can board my dog and my cats should be ok by themselves (unless they chew on power cords!). I don't have anyone within 20 miles that I trust to take care of them, and I really don't want to have some stranger (pet sitter) coming in my house and going through my stuff while I'm not here.

I plan on lowering the salinity a bit before I go and maybe investing in an automatic feeder so the hermits don't start killing each other. Hopefully I won't have a power outage here.

I have my lights on timers. That might be a worthwhile investment for you in the future. Again, sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Sorry to hear about that. I had a few similar instances when I left my tank in charge of others while I was away...

Your better off automating the lights and everything with simple plugin timers.

With my setup fully automated (except for water top-ups, which is minimal in a week anyway), I dont have to worry so much when I leave home for extended periods.

I just sort out simple measured amounts of foods and get whoever to just give out the food. Makes things much less of a worry.

Sorry to hear about your tank man... If I ever leave town, I'm making sure someone who knows something about tanks watch my nano for the time I'm gone. Never would I leave it to someone who knows nothing more then fish go in water, fish swim in water, fish eat in water... Hope everything turns out okay.

I leave my 12 gallon eclipse for 5 days at a time every week, because I work out of town now. All my corals are photosynthetic, my lid keeps in water, and theres no fish to feed. I just do a water change on the weekends. Its kind of cool because I get to come home and see all the new growth on my corals (theoretically).

I sure do wish I could get a fish though...

What a Co- winkiedink ! I have a Brother named the same ! Bstrd unplugged my 40 Long. I came home to a very unhappy fish tank.

He is now Called Numbnuts and "DB" which stands for Douschebag or Daves Brother...:P

Archived