Coral Vue Hydros

waht is the diff ?

Softice

just a simple question.

wat is the different between a Nos light and pc light

example 15 watt nos 10k and 15 watt pc 10k.

(above number or wattage use is for example & illustration only.)

so same wattage and the k's is there any diff? i wonder

PC=Power Compact, ie can fit more wattage in the same space. if you have two of any kind of light of the same wattage it's the same wattage. The purpose of PC's are to cram more wattage in a small area, like nano's.

yap...thanks for clearing the doubt Dolfan0925 =P

i just wan noe if same wattage is there any diff...other then size....so its same output =P

oki 2nd question...

can i use a 36 watt ballast on a 15 watt light tube? ( NOs Light)

i try it and it light up, so the question is....the 15 watt light now under power or over power? sorry guys, i noe its a silly question...but thanks in advance ok =P

There have been many experiments to see which kinds of lights output more light per watt. The results were kind of interesting. It turns out that NO lamps (I think T8... but could be another size) actually output more lumens/watt than PC or VHO lighting. The big advantage to PC and VHO is it allows you to fit more wattage over your tank than NO bulbs.

All fluorescent bulbs work basically the same... exciting an atoms electrons, changing its energy level and causing it to change orbit.

I will look for the research that found these results and post a link.

Undertheradar

The basic concept of a fluor bulb is an arc of electricity passed through a gas...much like neon lighting...only in this case the output is almost 100% UV...yes, you take away that white phosphor coating on the inside of a fluor tube and look at the clear tube...its UV (and that is exactly what is used for UV sterilizers). Now, that UV is picked up by the phosphors...the phosphors are excited by the UV energy, and transfer it into a broader visible spectrum. So we are not seeing the direct result of an element or elements being excited (like with a halide or tungsten filament bulb) but rather a secondary reaction. The good thing about this is that phosphors are very efficient mediums for this...giving off much more light per watt than a tungsten bulb at least (ever notice how a fluor bulb still glows a while after you turn it off? The reaction is still finishing after you cut the electricity) The secret with all these bulbs is in the phosphors. T5, NO, PC, HO, VHO...they manipulate the phosphors to handle more heat, last longer, be more efficient. Not last I checked, PC was top dog when it came to lumens per watt, as well as watts per unit of space...but T5s are getting close. They offer pretty comperable efficiency, actually better, but they cant tolerate as much heat like the phosphors in PC bulbs. And the heat is the determining factor with fluor bulbs life span. you can actually 'overdrive' normal output bulbs (running a 30 watt bulb on a 40watt ballast)...but they burn out quick unless you can keep them cool. So it's a mixed possibilities you have there...output lumens per watt...or wattage per volume of bulb??? Your results may vary.

NO cant handle the temps or have the output per watt that PC has. A 13wattPC bulb is close to the output of a 60watt bulb...a 15wattNO is more like a 40watt bulb.

Archived