ReefCleaners.org

help!!!!

johnrags1234

johnrags1234

I ordered my lights from ahsupply on saturday and im thinking they will get here thursday or friday. MY question is can i get my liverock and sand and put it all in my tank wednesday even though the lights might not be shining bright till th. or fri.? IM getting 2.5 lbs, of cured fiji. any help would be awesome???!!! THANKS BTW i made my hood and will post pics tommorrow it didnt come out quiet as good as i hoped

That should be no problem. You won't want to have your lights on full time (10-12 hours) until you get it cycled and have a clean-up crew, or else it might be prone to big algae outbreaks. I think once you do get your lights, then 4-6 hours a day should be ample.

I didn't use any lights in my first tank for about 2 weeks and it turned out alright, and when i finally did start using a light it was just a 15 watt NO and a 13 watt PC (without corals though).

hehe... I'm still using an old 15W NO bulb over my 10 and I'm growing coralline algae fairly well. It's even starting to grow on the glass. I've had it on there since I started my tank, and after two months at the current rate, I can't wait to see the improvement my new hood (almost finished!) and lighting will make.

As suggested by the others, you should have no problems without lighting for a while. Some people advocate curing LR without lighting. I personally disagree with that idea, but to each his own!

Archived