Pod Your Reef

new tank, what is T5 lighting?

haokan

I looked up T5 lights, and i only see them for UV sterilizers, yet people are talking about t5 lighting on their tanks. what exactly is it, and where can i get it?

Do a little more searching on t5.

Basically what they are is a newer sized HO (high output) flourescent light. They are very thin compard to other lights t8-t12 (the larger the number after the t, the thicker the bulb) and last a long time.

Being so thin, you can fit many on a tank. Also, they say you need special reflectors for each individual bulb.

They are comparable to MH and VHO and come in a wide assortment of colors. From warm whites (yellows) to daylights (6500k), 10000k, etc.. and actinics.

they are 5/8" fluorescent tubes driven to the equivalent output as compact fluorescent tubes (aka "power compact" - also 5/8") but with slightly better efficiency due to better reflector design (minimal restrike)

sunlightsupply makes a nice pendant light. most other t5ho application other than retrofit systems are for actinic enhancement on metal halide lights. hth

you don't want them..... Trust me. They work well, but are generally expensive and IMO are not worth it. Go halide if you can, then my next choice is VHO, then PC's.

trust Jah, I haev had bad luck , the bulbs seem to be alot touchier than PC's or Halides. He saw my T-5 actinics, burned out after 2 months. Remember Jah?

people can get good color from their corals with them, but I would reccommend a minimum of 6 bulbs over a tank. they come in standard HO of 24 watts on a 22 inch bulb. VHO come 75 watts for a 24" bulb.

What size tank are you running?

Bird...When are you coming over to check out my tank?

Archived