Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Thank you...everyone

schaferfred

schaferfred

Not yet I've been topping off in evening and morning to reduce any salinity swing but I do believe I will be getting an auto topoff soon. As a matter of fact, I have already eyed yours for when I am ready.

schaferfred

I've got a small problem - I have found 2 blue leg hermit carcasses out of their shells dead and uneaten and there are 2 more unaccounted for-empty shells. I had put extra shells in there to limit them fighting over shells. Is it possible that some or one of the other hermits have been aggressive enough to kill the smaller ones? The only other inhabitants I have are astreas, a peppermint, and a red brittle star that is about 4" round. My water checks fine and I figured if there was something wrong with the water the shrimp or star would die first. Anyone else ever have their hermits fight to the death?

schaferfred

That's what I was thinking until I counted the empty shells....I have 4 more empty shells than what I put in there.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 20" Current USA Satellite fixture. It comes with a 10,000k/6,700k white 40w PC bulb and a 420nm/460nm 40w PC bulb, plus one white-looking moonlight LED. If you look at the bulbs when they are on they look like 4 different colored t-5's.

Is that the same as in the Orbits? (from what I could tell the orbits were rounder versions of the Satellite which came with risers, where the satellite was a squarer case that was supposed to look like a strip light.

The tank is 2 days old right now and still very cloudy, but I'll have pics of the light color as soon as it clears up.

Originally posted by schaferfred

I've got a small problem - I have found 2 blue leg hermit carcasses out of their shells dead and uneaten and there are 2 more unaccounted for-empty shells. I had put extra shells in there to limit them fighting over shells. Is it possible that some or one of the other hermits have been aggressive enough to kill the smaller ones? The only other inhabitants I have are astreas, a peppermint, and a red brittle star that is about 4" round. My water checks fine and I figured if there was something wrong with the water the shrimp or star would die first. Anyone else ever have their hermits fight to the death?

That is the reason that I don't like the opportunistic little sob's! Mine did that until only two were left. I guess some people just get lucky with theirs and others get the rogues. I had empty shells, that were larger, and they still did that. You probably have one that wants to be the Alpha and the others have paid for it. There are quite a few people who have stated that theirs were like this though.

*edit* I still love all the nooks and crannies in your rock. Tanks looking good! Any updated pics?

schaferfred
Originally posted by scitz

I have the 20" Current USA Satellite fixture.  It comes with a 10,000k/6,700k white 40w PC bulb and a 420nm/460nm 40w PC bulb, plus one white-looking moonlight LED. If you look at the bulbs when they are on they look like 4 different colored t-5's.

Is that the same as in the Orbits? (from what I could tell the orbits were rounder versions of the Satellite which came with risers, where the satellite was a squarer case that was supposed to look like a strip light.

The tank is 2 days old right now and still very cloudy, but I'll have pics of the light color as soon as it clears up.

The orbits are straight up 10000K with the acitinic. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

schaferfred
Originally posted by Angel

That is the reason that I don't like the opportunistic little sob's!  Mine did that until only two were left.  I guess some people just get lucky with theirs and others get the rogues.  I had empty shells, that were larger, and they still did that.  You probably have one that wants to be the Alpha and the others have paid for it.  There are quite a few people who have stated that theirs were like this though.

*edit*  I still love all the nooks and crannies in your rock.  Tanks looking good!  Any updated pics?

Well I haven't lost any more since I posted so maybe the culprit decided to chill. Thank you for the compliments on the tank. I have posted an update of a couple fish I just got in a new thread. I will take some updated full tank shots soon.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=35585

Archived