Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Using Tank Water for Rotifer Propogation

GTi

Hi All.

I am about to start propagating rotifers for my Clownfish fry.

The rotifers need a 25-33% water change each day. You can use freshly made water or water from your tank. I like the idea of tank water because that way I am getting more benefit from the freshwater and the reef tank will have cleaner water.

The advice with using tank water is to filter it through a coffee filter to remove any zooplankton. I assume this is because the zooplankton will also propagate and will decimate the rotifer population.

I have a 53 micron sieve to collect rotifers with - would filtering the tank water through this before using for rotifer culture work? I don't know whether cysts or juveniles could pass through and cause a problem.

Thanks!

Theres really no need to strain the tank water before adding it to the culture. Ive been doing it for years.I hope youre feeding with Tahitian blend cryo frozen phyto. It is by FAR the best way to go.

I think I have the RG Complete from Reed Mariculture. I'll check out the other one when I'm ready for some replacement.

Thanks for the info!

I think I have the RG Complete from Reed Mariculture. I'll check out the other one when I'm ready for some replacement.

Thanks for the info!

Youre going to need it. Rotifer culture consume huge amounts of phyto. You will go broke and quit using Reed. Brineshrimpdirect makes the products you need.

• 2 weeks later...

You really don't need that much of a water change, use a trash can, large airstone, and a hanging filter floss pad and you should be all set honestly

Oh, and while your at it, why not start a phyto culture, its not that difficult

Thanks for all the comments. I have some RG complete that came in a starter kit with the rotifers. I'm not sure I'm going to keep a continuous culture going once the clownfish fry have gone through meta. If I do, I will grow my own photo.

Archived