Top Shelf Aquatics

What fish should I breed (what is needed in the hobby)

lizardfish

I have been wanting to get into breeding for a wile now and was going to a Species that is easy and well documented just for fun, but with resent talk about banning collecting wild fish we we all need to pitch in and increase the Variety of species bred in captivity or one day all we will have is clownfish (and a few others)

So my question what should I attempt breeding? Tangs need 1000g + to really breed so for me there out

Angels are hard and the big name breeders got that down

So I'm thinking wrasses or gobies that have not been bred

Is there any you think I'd have a shot at Succeeding with?

Ps. 11 years in the hobby and I can raise live foods and I have a fish room

If you think you can, many fish species have been reportedly spawning in captivity but not raised.

Cirrhilabrus would be awesome, but def hard to raise.

Paracheilinus would also be awesome, but I've never heard of these guys spawning.

Combtooth blennies would be a great seller, especially tail spots, but I don't know anything of their spawning behavior.

To start I would recommend clownfish and cardinalfish.

ANYTHING but clownfishes!

I suppose it depends on how much of a challenge you want. For instance, we have a M-F pair of dwarf fuzzy lions that have laid a few egg masses, but the biggest problem is getting the fry past their planktonic stage. Anglers have been bred, but I can't say I know of anyone who has succeeded there either.

OSFF would be popular if you beed them. There are a few CB's around, but still not too many.

ANYTHING but clownfishes!

I suppose it depends on how much of a challenge you want. For instance, we have a M-F pair of dwarf fuzzy lions that have laid a few egg masses, but the biggest problem is getting the fry past their planktonic stage. Anglers have been bred, but I can't say I know of anyone who has succeeded there either.

OSFF would be popular if you beed them. There are a few CB's around, but still not too many.

osff? cb? lol sorry for not being up to date with my acronyms

im looking for a fish that ether mouth broods, lays eggs in a den/hole , or lays on a object. basically easy to collect the eggs.

why not clowns? because every one and there uncle breeds them. we need people to spread out. if not when "the man" cracks down and bans wild collecting all we will have is clowns for sale

Dwarf Angelfish would be a great breeding project since they haven't been successfully bred and raised to adulthood my many people. IF you could get a handle on that it would be quite a feat.

considering how many people buy them wild caught i would do a mix of common fairy and flasher wrasses if I had no limitations. Can't imagine how difficult that is though.

Multibar angels...such a magnificent dwarf that does poorly in home aquaria most times. To get some good CB strains going would be awesome and good money makers

I am interested ! lol. I have successfully bred banggai cardinals so far and have a pair of ( I know don't do it ) clowns that have sexed and are in a tank made just for them to lay eggs and easy for me to harvest. idk about everyone out there but just the feeling I get from raising the babies is amazing and has been a very rewarding experience so far. If I could breed any fish out there just for supplementing purposes I would consider a few things. 1 the value of the fish would have to be good enough to make cents lol . 2 how much I need to invest ie tank size just for a breeding tank. And finally how to get rid of the babies, I know a few stores in my area that welcome fish breeders to come in and sell fish to them for cash, and or, in-store credit. If you have a few places willing to do the same it makes it easier to get the babies sold and makes a little difference in the fact that those local stores aren't having to fully supply on wild caught, every lil helps :)

Good luck in your endeavor, p.s. I like the idea of dwarf angels 50 bucks a pop sounds like a decent priced fish and they are still a sought after breed :) .

Flasher wrasses would be awesome and easy to get eggs but the fry are super small so I'm wondering what's the smallest live food I could culture ?

Rotifers are too big Unfortunately :/ I live in Florida I wonder what I may be able to collect ? Like run like 50 gal of ocean water through a fine mesh and only the smallest plankton will pass though ?

I want jaw fish anyways so that would be a good one. Ill start with yellow head jaw fish. Any tips on pairing them ? (I'm about to google it lol)

As much as clowns are over bred we still need them buy some designer clowns that are a little cheaper like snowflakes and breed them they are easy and since designer a little more profitable

I want jaw fish anyways so that would be a good one. Ill start with yellow head jaw fish. Any tips on pairing them ? (I'm about to google it lol)

Buy a young bonded pair and wait till they mature :)

Going with jaw fish, my lfs has 3 that have very yellow heads and almost blue body's and 2 that are almost all white is that male/female or should I just get 2 of the nice ones and hope for a pair ?

if you decide to breed something pleas make sure you have buyers before you start breeding,so many people just breed fish for fun then when they outgrow there holding tank and ready to sell there's nobody to sell to.So make sure you talk to your Lfs or wherever and make sure they will be interested in buying before u decide to breed.Breeding fish is not an easy job at all takes lots of time and dedication to raise the fry.As for fish I think you should look into breeding some designer clownfish.theres great money in it and you should always have buyers as long as you grow them out big enouh

Lfs will trade coral for jawfish so homes are set. I don't want to raise clowns because the hobby doesn't need them sure they sell but the point for me is to expand the Species list we can breed so if there is a colecting ban we won't be stuck with just clown fish .

Tho I want to create a translucent clown (see through) but that involves allot of culling :'( and about 5 years.

Anyways back to jaw fish , I set up there tank today, my first tank with a deep sand bed lol. Going to do a Florida sea grass biotope, (I live in fl) which will serve as my reef tanks refugium.

Not to be rude but do you guys not read the other posts I don't want to breed clowns well at lest not ones we already have, it's not about making money or breeding just for fun persay (it is in part) or going for something easy. It's about saving our hobby just in case government cracks down on it.

Jawfish tank finnaly cleared up :) building a protein skimmer and a good lid this weekend then picking up 2. (set up with lr from other tank just in case you were worried about cycling)

Know any good sea grass suppliers ?

I wish.... We had captive bred- firefish, tailspot blennies, more green banded gobies, yasha gobies, geometric hawkfish, sixline wrasse.

I think Jawfish are great start. Since they are mouth brooders, it should at least be interesting. It would be cool if there were some smaller species of jawfish for nanos.

Archived