Top Shelf Aquatics

Do you use a cover over your tank?

chieferich

I'm curious if everyone uses a glass or acrylic top, or nothing at all over their tank...I am having difficulty finding iinformation on what i should use with my 20L. post away!

kris_willard

I have been pondering the same question and have come to the conclusion that if you put a top on your tank you will need some serious fan action for the lights, as my 90 was overheating with 260watts of pc once i put the glass tops on. On my 5.5 there will be 56watts so the WPG will be alot higher therefore more heat. Havent decided my self but if i do go with a cover it will be acrylic and i will have at least 2x4' fans in the hood. Guess all you can do its test it out.

yes, i too have considered using lexan as a cover, but i am unsure on the levels of filtration by this material. hard to get a concrete answer on this. WWM (Anthony) replied telling me to look up the manufacturers specs on various materials...that should be fun.

anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...

closed, keeps salt off of aqualight. but the light is on legs so no temp problems. evap about 1/4 - 1/5 gallon per day on 20L, plus it keeps the fish in. only $17 at petsmart, really nice w/ flip open lid for feeding/top-offs

Started with using a lexan cover on my 20H. Had to trash it after 2 weeks, started to bow and warp. Then I went to a local glass shop and for 32.00 had them custom cut two pieces of 1/4" glass for my cover and this included mounting a stainless handle.

I have had to take cover off for summer months due to heat issues.

Open Top summer months and closed winter months.

Archived