Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reliable HOB Overflow Guide

jservedio

By design the Lifereef does not break siphon when the return pump stops working and will restart when flow resumes. It has to do with the chamber heights, the unequal tube length and the design of the chambers themselves. There are a lot of videos on youtube demonstrating it which might help you understand how/why.

Your write up is great if you are using a CPR or even an Eshopps overflow and one I would recommend to anyone looking at using a CPR or Eshopps type overflow. IF Eshopps used the unequal siphon tube that Lifereef uses it might operate the same as the LIfereef but I cannot say for sure.

Any overflow can plug or have the flow restricted enough to cause problems be it drilled or siphon tube/channel type which is why the float valve is a really good idea. If it was me I would look at putting it into the outlet side of the overflow to help "clean up" the equipment in the tank if you can adjust the water height in that chamber.

I was actually just debating on which overflow box I was going to get today. I set up my tank about a week ago and decided against a sump because the tank won't be up for more than two years, but I sort of regret not drilling now.

Anyways, does anyone know how different the eshopps and lifereef ones are? I'd love to get a lifereef, but it's almost double the price and I can't get it locally. I know they're supposed to be similar in design. Which pump should I get to go with a PF-800 for a 40 breeder? I was thinking a lower flow sump.

Also, what's the easiest/cheapest way to attach a float switch to the pump? I don't have a controller.

Archived