Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

120 Watts...HELP!?

Travis

I will be using 6 Coralife 20W 50/50 Mini Compact Fluorescent. To do this I am in the planning stages of a DIY hood for my tank. I know that these lights produce ALOT of heat because the lights are self balenced. So I was wondering what kind of fan I should use to keep the temp down. How many? I want them to be EXTREMLY quiet, because the tank is in my bedroom and I CAN NOT! stand noise when I am trying to sleep lol, so if you guys have any suggestions..post'em ;)

Thanks,

Travis

Here's a pic of my tank as of now, the lighting is only 2 Coralife 20W 50/50 Mini Compact Fluorescent (40 Watts TOTAL).

8390Full_tank_shot_-_10_gallon.jpg

Computer fans work well. The larger the fan the quieter it will be so I recommend getting 120mm. You can get them cheap at any computer store or radioshack. If you really want quiet ones, I've heard that Panaflow is the best, but you would probably have to order them from an online computer store. You will also need to get an AC to DC adapter in 9V, 12V, or mult-voltage(this will let you control the speed of the fans). Look in the diy section if you need help with wiring things up. Here is an example of an adapter you could use.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...5Fid=273%2D1667

By the way, you can plug the fans into the same timer you have your lights on so that they only run when your lights are on. Good luck with the upgrade.

p.s. If I were you, I would get a MH insted of all those PCs. It would probably be cheaper in the long run and your corals would love you for it.

Yeah I will only be having them on when the lights are, and MH is a bit more expencive, and I don't have the space.

Why would you want that many little lights over your tank?

I'm not sure your tank size, but it's probly cheaper to DIY a 2x35 or 2x55/65 watt pc. 2x55 (110 watts) or even 2x35

(70 watts) will probly be brighter than 120 watts of those screw in PC's.

My advice, get a workhorse 5, it will run combo's of 2x36/55/65 watt pc's. You can find them online for 25-30 bucks. And, bulbs range from $15-30.

OK! I have nearly finished the hood, and I have decided on what lights I am going to get, I am getting 1 70w MH HQI (+ Ballist, grounded power cord and end caps) and two 13 Watt Actinic 03 pc fixtures, 2 41/2" Fans, and a 17" reflector that I will mod to get all the wires fitting and all...

What do you guys think?

That sounds like a much better system. Just remember to get a UV shield for that DE MH.

I have a 10g aswell that I am about to upgrade from 64w of 50/50 PC to 175w 10,000K MH and 64w actinic PC.

Yeah, I know bout getting the UV shield ;)

and I wouldn't go w/ over 100w on a 10 gallon lol, you would either cook the corals and fish, or give them a REALY bad sun burn, that's why I am goin w/ the 70w MH, 50-80 watts in a 10 gallon will let you put just about any coral you want in there, If some one knows different PLEASE correct me lol I don't want to leak out false info...

I've seen it done successfully. The trick is to have the bulb really high up. Mines going to be about 10 inches above the water line. Lots of fans are also a must.

Archived