inTank Media Baskets

what coral likes alot of waterflow?

haokan

i have a spot in the back top left part of my 25 gallon tank that is bare and needs a nice coral. the only problem is there is a powerhead pointed at that spot. What, in your opinion, is the coral that likes the most direct strong waterflow? I was thinking xenia, but i dunno if it would be too much for them. Also elegance might be a thought.... just looking for your opinions

Cellenzweig

I have found that xenia likes moderate flow. If the flow is too much, they won't pulse. Mine pulse the most when I turn circulation off completely for feeding.

You probably won't have great luck with elegance. It is pretty much the most difficult coral kept in captivity. Most die very quickly.

most likley no coral likes a powerhead pointed directly at it, but with enough light many acros like table and humilis will do well. How many GPH is the PH?

its a maxijet 600 in a 25 gal, about 8 inches away from the powerhead. lighting is 3 wpg 50/50 compact, but its in the back corner so i dunno how great hte light will be, even if it is in the top. anyone got any experience with galaxea (galaxy, tooth) coral? i always see it at the lfs under pretty much direct waterflow and it seems to like it

Most corals don't like a constant, direct stream of water blowing at them.

Case in point - my acropora milleporas sit in an area of the tank where they get battered by flow and they love it. However, on of my powerheads came off the glass one day and blew directly at a milli for a whole day and almost killed a section of the coral off. Is there any way you can aim another powerhead in another direction to break up the flow?

If anything, I think galaxia will be a good choice. My brother has a powersweep that moves over his galaxia. The tip almost touches the coral and it gets pretty hard flow. But again, its not constant, laminar flow.

Why not get some flexible tubing and an elbow with hose barbs from Home Depot and re-direct the powerhead?

I have my ph in the back left corner pointing to the front right corner, and it's pretty high up. That way pretty much nothing will feel it's force initially. but my gsp feels the strongest current and it loves it. Some days it just closes up(takes a break). but it does fine for me.

Archived