Pod Your Reef

Nerite snails = Margarita snails?

Satchmo

Are these the same thing? I picked up 2 Nerites yesterday, just cause it was something new at the LFS, and a little diversity in my clean-up crew never hurts. Has anyone had problems with these guys leaving the water? I've read some are intertidal, and have a tendancy to escape.

ah margarita! they're roundish flatter shelled. voracious algae eaters but easy prey for some reason. :*(

the nerites are tiny and will stay tiny. for size comparison: turbo=elephant, nerite=puppy, astrae=workhorse ;)

X) sorry, i get lost in memories. :P

nerites are smaller of the common snails available (excluding ceriths). Neritidae Nerita funiculata (garf) also known as margarita snails. i had to look up the latin name :blush:

Here's a pic

nerite-snail-1.jpg

I've read since they're intertidal, they'll sometimes wander out of your tank. Some people have a hard time keeping them off the carpet, others have no problem with them. Also, hermits really dig their shells, so they're often one of the first snails to get killed.

Thanks Tiny. That's what I was looking for. I've heard people talking about Margarita snails, but never knew what they were.

Where I'm from, we call those things pipipi (that's three "P"s).

Them's great eating as a little TV & Beer snack. Here's how you do it:

1. Pluck about two handfuls off the rocks - make sure they're big enough to make worthwhile.

2. Place them in a boiling pot of water w/ some salt in it (not salt mix, real salt).

3. Boil @ a roll for about 4 minutes, or until the slime has discharged.

4. Drain & Cool.

5. Using a needle, pry up the "cover" and pull out the snail.

6. Stick in mouth. Chew, swallow and repeat.

Of course, don't be doing this if you're buying 50 for $9.95 or anything. Here, they grow on the rocks like a second skin.

File under: "What to do when tank crashes"

Archived