inTank Media Baskets

My 3D printed Reactor Design

chippwalters

I'm using the Cube series 1. IMO, it's a really nice printer because it just works. It has a heated table (which the series 2 doesn't have) and that is a huge help in stabilizing the ABS 'grows.'

I was thinking of getting the botobject

chippwalters

It looks nice. But, since it's not available yet, I would have my concerns.

One big concern is that it only uses PLA. So, building something like my 3D printed reactor just wouldn't work. PLA is just not strong enough for that sort of thing.

Another concern I have is there seems to be a lot of finishing that has to go into their prints. Typically, there is zero finishing on any of the prints that I do.

I guess it just depends on what you're looking to print. If it's a one off art object then the botobject seems like it might be a good place to start. But, if what you want to do is print functional mechanical objects, then you're probably better off with a printer that can use ABS.

beats me man. this isnt my forte, I just wanted the high precision of the thing. my other choice was the makerbox 2x. it was more for rapid prototyping. anything serious and i haul out the mill

i think the botobject uses abs as well. proprietary though -_-

chippwalters

Does the ABS stuff turn out waterproof?

Yes. ABS is most waterproof. Unlike PLA, (another 3D printing material) it will last longer than your tank!

chippwalters

Very nice. Although for 7hrs printing, I would charge more. Those things are not cheap.

I now have it down to a 5.5 hour build using a single 'grow' cycle. This means I can basically turn it on, walk away and have it completely finished when I come back. All I need do is pick up the pieces off the print bed, add the o-ring and the suction cups and the kit is good to go.

beats me man. this isnt my forte, I just wanted the high precision of the thing. my other choice was the makerbox 2x. it was more for rapid prototyping. anything serious and i haul out the mill

i think the botobject uses abs as well. proprietary though -_-

The makerbot is a nice device and can print both ABS and PLA, and has a heated bed. The only problem is they have zero warranty. I really like 3D systems. They have great support (just contacted them yesterday on Sunday and they replied on Sunday) and are most helpful. They don't have a forum, which is a big problem, but there is a Google Group for them.

chippwalters

what's your opinion on pirate3d's plans?

Yeah, I looked at it and I'm sorry, but I can't get excited about a printer that cheap. Unless it's a second 'kick around' printer, I'd not buy it. Not to mention it's on Kickstarter which means there's no guarantee your money will ever be realized in an actual product. There are a number of products that funded and never shipped-- so if you're a gambler and you want to buy new technology with zero history behind it, in an already 'sketchy' market just starting off-- then Bob's your uncle. For me, I'll wait to see how the first reviews are.

Harrisonbored

Yeah, I looked at it and I'm sorry, but I can't get excited about a printer that cheap. Unless it's a second 'kick around' printer, I'd not buy it. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pirate3d/the-buccaneer-the-3d-printer-that-everyone-can-use]Not to mention it's on Kickstarter[/url] which means there's no guarantee your money will ever be realized in an actual product. There are a number of products that funded and never shipped-- so if you're a gambler and you want to buy new technology with zero history behind it, in an already 'sketchy' market just starting off-- then Bob's your uncle. For me, I'll wait to see how the first reviews are.

Yea, valid points. The Kickstarter is already over and funded, so your forced to wait out the reviews anyways.

Having never actually seen or operated a 3D printer in person ( only recently started researching and learning) I was just curious if all their

selling points held water? ie; cartridge spools, open source modeling software, etc;

or if this is just a Mac mini w/ i3D ready for the masses?

Archived