Innovative Marine Aquariums

Two small powerheads in a 5 1/2

GobyMan

I'm still trying to figure out the best setup flow wise for my 5 1/2...  With one Rio 50 the flow seems either to fast or too slow depending on how I set the flow control.  Ideally, I would like to get two in there so I can make a more random flow (rather than linear like discussed in prev post) but I'm not sure that my little tank can handle two powerheads (let alone I think it might look bad with two small powerheads.

Any thoughts/advice?

This won't get you the random flow, but it will distribute the current a little better.

Use jsut the one 50 at full-power, but connect it's output to a flow bar.  A flow bar can be easy made with a piece of PVC pipe (diameter wide enough to fit over the 50's nozzle), with lots of little holes drilled in it.  The other end should be capped off.

I personally recommend putting the powerhead+flowbar towards the top in the back, to make sure it agitates the water's surface.

Matthew

NaNO ReeFiN

Your LFS should sell Rio parts seperately... you could just go pick up a flowbar for a couple bucks there. I bought a Rio90 and it came with the flowbar so I have that connected to it.

I think I got confusing with my use of the term "flowbar."  I think people here more commonly refer to it as a spraybar.

None of my Rios came with such a contraction (I've had a 50, 90, 180, and 400).  They came with a duckbill, or fan, nozzle, is that what you're tihnking of?

A spraybar for something as small as a 50 should be maybe 8" long and have 30 holes drilled in it.

So you would drill some holes facing up to agitate the surface and some facing down to flow over the live rock and coral?  Interesting.  I guess it is a matter of trial and error as to how many holes to drill, the size of the holes and spacing?  

Does anyone know off hand what size PVC would fit over the Rio 50?

Thanks

Archived