Top Shelf Aquatics

Cleaning Dry Rock.

thekookie

Anyone with some tips on cleaning my dry rock before seeding it or putting it into my tank?

I've heard of all types of things like acid baths, and the like. Looking for opinions.

-thekookie

I've used white vinegar (a mild acid) to clean rock before, but that was to clean old live rock that I dried out. If it's fresh stuff I would probably just rinse mine with RO/DI water, heck maybe even just tap water (if you're completely starting anew...if not then RO/DI would be better for an established tank)

Hope this helps,

-Brad

BeardedReeferLLC

IF the dry rock is coming from a limestone quarry I would use the acid bath method to get rid of all the organic matter.

IF the dry rock was old dry rock that was used before and just dried then white vinegar.

.02 cents.

I rinsed mine in rodi then scrubbed the crap out of it, then another rodi bath and in the tank they went. It's not really the best practice but I also added dry Marco rock to my tank long after it was established, never had any ammonia spike. Fast forward a couple of months and you can't even tell where the old rock ends and the new rock begins.

Jackal_Knight

were did you get your dry rock from?

IF the dry rock is coming from a limestone quarry I would use the acid bath method to get rid of all the organic matter.

IF the dry rock was old dry rock that was used before and just dried then white vinegar.

.02 cents.

+1 i used brs reef saver rock which is from a quarry i believe and i just washed it and toss it in.

I just boiled mine and then hosed it out

I usually boil mine and hose it like you, but starting a new system, I want to stay away from tap water.

May I ask why people would dip dry rock into acid? Is it actually acid?

I think most of the time it's a mix of acid and something else? I would probably use that method, but I'm kind of on the fence about left over solution.

My 70lbs of base rock took an acid bath and are now seeding with 40lbs of live rock..

I've used white vinegar (a mild acid) to clean rock before, but that was to clean old live rock that I dried out. If it's fresh stuff I would probably just rinse mine with RO/DI water, heck maybe even just tap water (if you're completely starting anew...if not then RO/DI would be better for an established tank)

Hope this helps,

-Brad

This is completely new... dry, base rock. I finally got an RO/DI unit and I didn't want to rinse it in tap, but intended to atleast shake it out in RO/DI

.02 cents.

I'm gonna have to check where it comes from... It is new dry rock though. Thanx for that one, I wouldn't have ever thought to check.

I rinsed mine in rodi then scrubbed the crap out of it, then another rodi bath and in the tank they went. It's not really the best practice but I also added dry Marco rock to my tank long after it was established, never had any ammonia spike. Fast forward a couple of months and you can't even tell where the old rock ends and the new rock begins.

I'm more than likely going to do some rinsing, and scrubbing like you. I've seen a lot of people use vinegar and acid, and was mostly wondering what the reason was.... I don't want to leave anything behind after any acid washes or vinegar.

BeardedReeferLLC

I'm gonna have to check where it comes from... It is new dry rock though. Thanx for that one, I wouldn't have ever thought to check.

Same here, someone just told me about it. So I have plans also to acid bath mine when the time comes.

were did you get your dry rock from?

+1 i used brs reef saver rock which is from a quarry i believe and i just washed it and toss it in.

It's caribsea south sea's base rock I believe... I honestly didn't do too much research on it, I just saw some google pictures and it looked good. I also had no other options, so I went with it.

My tank currently has Dry rock from where I live in it... I wanted to avoid ever doing that again. So here I am lol.

Archived