Pod Your Reef

~* Jim's Rimless Biocube 29 *~

iamjimwood

I would say do a water large water change to get the nitrates low.... maybe then the nitrites will drop too.... but i would say def add a cuc. Check out reef cleaners i just ordered a 5.5g snail crew and its awesome got a ridicoulous amount of snails didnt even try to count all of the dwarf ceriths.... Im very pleased with the pricing.

But lets see some pics of the scape!!!

So i wish i was better at the aquascaping thing...

Before...

post-51420-0-55475900-1376007765_thumb.jpg

After...

post-51420-0-98265200-1376007767_thumb.jpg

Any sugestions? i read a thread about aquascaping and got all motivated... then it came out like this :(

Its not bad. What you got to remember, is that it is more coral scaping than aquascaping!

thanks... coral soon hopefully

ihatesears18

to be fair it's a lot easier to aquascape in a dry tank. i think it looks fine. The only thing I would do is maybe shorten the structure on the left.

IT HAS BEGUN!

officially ordered the first bit of livestock for the tank. got my CUC from reefcleaners.org. Loved the sand i got from there and cant wait to see the CUC. water change scheduled for Monday crew should be here on Tuesday.

on a separate note i have been going over my "Wish list" for my tank and seem to be going in circles with this sump thing... So i defiantly want a sump but am having a few issues.

1) in order to properly make the sump i will need to know what skimmer i am using, i have to set the baffle right so i can get the water level correct for the skimmer. any ideas? I am using a 30g sump so that is about 50g-ish total water volume, and i am planning on mostly SPS and LPS with a few zoas.

2) i have herd that aquarium silicone wont stick to acrylic? this complicates things a bit as my design was based around acrylic due to cutting things like slits in certain places that i am pretty positive you cant cut into glass. I could dump the glass aquarium all together and have a custom acrylic one built but that will almost double the cost. anyone know of a decent website that has nice acrylic sumps on the less expensive side? Or maybe another solution to my problem? i have time before the sump is an affordable addition to the tank anyway so i guess i'm just trying to figure how much i need to save. The other thing is i think i want to make my sump/fuge another display tank. i like the idea and have seen it executed very nicely on quite a few builds. is this more work than it is worth?

Other things i am thinking for the tank...

~ i want to build a custom stand for the tank. i am fairly handy with tools and wood so i think this will be a really fun project :)

~ need to figure this sump out... loosing sleep over not knowing :scarry: :scarry: :scarry:

Need to buy...

~Protein skimmer

~ATO parts (hoping to have enuf to order them Monday or Tuesday.)
~Overflow box

~RO/DI unit (BRS)

From what I gathered the silicone doesn't "adhere" fully but does creat a decent enough bond to direct water. Or at least I thought. That's awesome I'm just waiting on my new light! Then it's getting setup!!!!

from what i understand, as long as both the glass and acrylic is clean, silicon will bond. So its fine for using for baffles and overflows in sumps and tanks where there is not a lot of pressure.

BUT its not a really strong bond so its a really BAD idea to build tanks out of part glass and acrylic. Ie one pane glass another acyrlic. Its likely to fall apart then.

Excited to see this. Just got started on my HQI, which I bought new.. But I bought the stand off craigslist and it came with a free 29g biocube tank (no hood, no pumps, etc...). I haven't figured out what to do, definitely rimless but keep the false wall or go with a sump? I will also need to build a stand...

Following along closely...

i am using an overflow just cuz i wanted to get the tank up and running before February. that is when i will be able to afford the sump and all the parts. (return pump, overflow, etc etc) if you do decide to drill yours i would love to see how it comes out. have you put any thought into what kind of sump you would use? i happened to have a 30g lying around that was why i chose it. Modding it to be a sump may cause a few headaches...

Do you have a tank thread for your HQI? how is the heat on those lights? im sure it is minimal oceanic is usually thoughtful when they build their AIO tanks. Well except the PC lights on mine, and that stupid elbow on the return line after the pump, and that tab in the back that reduces flow, and those bio-balls that are damn near impossible to rinse in that second chamber, and the cheesy fans the put in the hood... ok maybe I was a bit wrong with my first statement :)

CUC came in today!

wow whatever you herd about John and how he gives more snails than you order is defiantly an understatement. i couldn't count the snails! very pleased! some were out and eating right away and some are still sleeping from the long trip thru the postal system. i even got a bonus hermit crab! he is very active.

watching the team clean clean clean...

• 1 month later...

Tank Is 3 Months Old!

hey guys and gals, the cube is 3 months old today and i figured i would update the thread. i have spent the last 6-7 weeks battling cyanobacteria cuz the stuff is the bane of my existence. I been doing frequent large water changes and removing what i can physically every morning before work. Knock on wood, i think i may be close to having it back under control. I still have no livestock in the tank besides the CUC. i did buy an acan frag just before the cyano outbreak (actually think it was the source of the outbreak) and the cyano just smothered it and it didn't make it. no matter how much i cleaned off the poor coral in a few hours it was covered again.

Here are a few pics for your entertainment.

Still love the way the biocube looks rimless
post-51420-0-11441200-1381226229.jpg

FTS

post-51420-0-22162200-1381226238_thumb.jpg

My Acan (RIP)

post-51420-0-89951900-1381226219.jpg

Archived