Innovative Marine Aquariums

red and blue macro growth, green?

Tamberav

New to the macro area outside of cheato. When a red or blue macro grows, is the growth first green and then changes color?

Some of the parts of my macros look green and I'm not sure if this means they need more light or if its normal growth? or something is missing? They don't seem to be disintegrating from what I can tell.

I would think light is okay as my dragons breath developed the orange tips (didn't have them when it arrived).

Googled a bunch but couldn't find the answer.

printerdown01

What are you growing? Dragons breath definately should not have green tips it should simply be red/orange. Flamingo should also just be red/pink...

What are you growing? Dragons breath definately should not have green tips it should simply be red/orange. Flamingo should also just be red/pink...

Sorry, the dragon's breath is a normal red/orange but the grape algae has some green and so does the blue ochtodes. Everything else looks normal.

I was researching lighting for macro and totally stumbled upon the answer:

"If your light is too strong, it can cause the green chlorophyll, (present in all algae), to become too strong, and overpower the pigments that give red and brown algae their distinctive colors, turning them greenish or pale. In this case, try to maneuver the algae in such a way that it becomes shaded from the full force of the lighting."

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=57

Good ol' reefcleaners! Looks like I need to lower them down to the sand bed to get the red back.

Archived