Pod Your Reef

Possible Dinoflagellates and Calothrix?

Okie Pride

jedimasterben

That's horrifying, Mr. Kinobi. I super hope it does not happen to me. I bought a yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair today and I do not want to lose them.

Don't worry about them - dinoflagellates are only toxic to what tries to eat them, so snails and such are at risk. I've never lost a fish definitively to dinoflagellates, even among tangs and herbivores.

jedimasterben

There is some really cool documentation on reefcentral about various dino cures, ill find it it and link it for you to see

Nobody can pinpoint why dinos can be wiped in one tank and persistent in another or we'd all just tune to that freq and eliminate them

But there is evidence of both, total cures and not any help at all I like to just try and see

The highly localized nature of this setup, ie not on the substrate like other total invasions made it seem likely receptive.

Couldn't agree more on fighting any return of them immediately no matter what you have to do, who wants to let a virulent strain take hold so assume the worst of all of them is my take. I figured this might be a lucky kill, okie will keep us updated i bet. Can't wait to get an update one day months from now out of the blue just to see

I bet if we quantified that thread when I find it, the most common approaches by percentage would be lights out extended photo starvation 50%, pH spiking or combos of the two are 25% and peroxide doses are 25% of the attempts, each method having a good base of testimony to draw from

After the battle I had and am still having, I'm now in the camp that once they enter your system, they will never leave, and will eventually return at the presence of excess CO2 or elevated nitrate levels.

I've noticed some strands of something growing on some of my rock. I have been busy these last couple of days and haven't been able to upload any new pics. I'll be sure to get some shots up when I get the chance. My main concern, though, is in regards to how peroxide would affect my new shrimp. I'm considering removing one problem rock from my display and letting it soak for a couple days in a closed bucket.

Peroxide will murder the crap out of Lysmata shrimps, even in tiny doses. If you do the dip elsewhere, it will be fine - peroxide breaks down in a matter of hours (if not less time), and faster in the presence of light.

Well, I lost the shrimp. I'm not sure how. 25 bucks down the drain because the lfs won't do anything to help me out. I've spent thousands over the last 3 years there but, alas. It's been several days since any peroxide was added so, I doubt it was that.

jedimasterben

Well, I don't blame them, honestly. They really don't have any way to prove that you have the proper conditions, etc. My two cents.

I brought them a vial to test my water for that very reason, though. They assured me it was perfect. I acclimated as well as I could but, the shrimp cut holes in the bag on the way home and I think it was crushed. I explained that and they all but called me a liar. If I buy anything from then again, I'll be sure to make them double bag. Bah, lame sauce.

Yes, got them, acclimated them for almost an hour, did a water change during acclimation as directed and added them in. He was dead in 14 or so hours. Le sigh.

jedimasterben

That is something different then - what species? Skunk cleaner, fire, peppermint? I've found fires and skunks to not acclimate too well sometimes. :/

I'm sorry about the lack of pictures recently. I have only been able to post via smartphone because of a cable company issue. My QT has been holding a single live rock that was a problem so that I can treat it with h2o2. No Dino has shown up in the display tank since but, I have had a minor outbreak of scarlet (cyano?) algae on the sand and a few rocks. The first purchase I get next will probably be a skimmer to remove excess waste. What media should I be using in my 3 stage filter basket?

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy to report no new dino occurrences. I purchased some more live rock to get me up to about 26 pounds of it. Lost my goby and a peppermint shrimp, probably to underfeeding in the case of the goby and being crushed when adding new rock for the shrimp. So my only livestock is 8 astrea snails, 3 mexican turbo snails, a tiger conch and the lone remaining peppermint shrimp. Here are the new pictures;

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/jquinten/media/IMG_20130805_170850_005.jpg.html'>IMG_20130805_170850_005.jpg

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/jquinten/media/IMG_20130805_170821_781.jpg.html'>IMG_20130805_170821_781.jpg

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/jquinten/media/IMG_20130805_170750_628.jpg.html'>IMG_20130805_170750_628.jpg

Thanks for your consideration.

Archived