ReefCleaners.org

Dragonfly/Damselfly Thread

Lalani

It is that time of year, the dragons and damsels are out. I've always loved these guys.

Post your finds! :happy:

The amber wings are so skittish!

IMG_4893_zps5740bfba.jpg

IMG_4886a_zps827fe3f2.jpg

IMG_4824_zps3b75ccb1.jpg

IMG_4821_zps833f9ee8.jpg

IMG_4837_zpsb2993e30.jpg

IMG_4855_zps41bd926e.jpg

TheUnfocusedOne

I was out in the woods the other day watching a beautiful swallowtail butterfly fluttering around. Out of no where, a huge dragonfly came and nabbed it out of the air and flew off with it.

Those things are monsters, and they'll be the death of us all.

They're awsome! :happy:

Love the eyes on that one, Jason. I don't think we have any like that here.

I spent some time stalking another amberwing, but still haven't been able to get as close as I'd like. :closedeyes:

The eyes on crazy on these things! :) I'm trying to stalk the little green ones now, they're way more skittish. I got some pictures of an all black monster but they're not that great of an angle.

• 3 weeks later...

these things are ridiculously small, they look like little twigs hovering around the plants. you can't even see their wings in person.

9326657789_ba4b4f5070_b.jpg
Dragonfly by jasonwithers, on Flickr

9329450996_f3e3027b69_b.jpg
Dragonfly by jasonwithers, on Flickr
For reference, those were both taken at the minimum focus distance, which is the exact same distance I was from the blue one above with the closeup of his eyes. Minimal cropping applied to all 3 for composition.

Haha, yeah, damselflies are tiny! But they aren't as skittish as the dragons, ime. What lens were you using?

Hopefully I'll be able to snag a few pics this week!

It is that time of year, the dragons and damsels are out. I've always loved these guys.

Yeah, apparently it isn't that time of year here. I haven't seen a dragonfly in weeks.

Challenge accepted.

Challenge still in progress.

Archived