inTank Media Baskets

DSLR newb, would like pointers

xennotech

just started messing with manual and macro mode. would like pointers on how to take really good shots in full manual so i can edit them to my liking in ps7/cs6.

camera im using is a canon 450d (rebel xsi). picked it up in a trade off craigslist for a 32" sony LCD i paid 280 for including a warranty. figure it was about an even trade, as i got the standard lens, a 300mm non-IS lens (sold that one, never used it) and a speedlite(use it all the time).

any pointers would be great. im more of a hobbiest, not a professional photographer, so the only upgrades ill consider are lenses. IMO i dont need a new body because this one does way more than i need it to do :)

pix to come of my nano i started 2 days ago, still getting everything situated, sump built, etc etc. well, sump is actually done, i just need to plumb the tank and get a return pump :P

Read the camera manual from cover to cover, if you haven't already. That's a must! Also, this guide on reef photography.

Practice. Take a ton of photos, delete the obviously bad ones, and take some more with slight adjustments to the settings.

When trying out Manual settings, I find it best to get a general exposure reading using Program Auto mode at first. That will tell you around where your shutter speed and f-stop will be, then switch to manual and adjust either accordingly.

For FTS shots it helps to have a tripod or other sturdy surface to set the camera on and turn off the pumps.

As you try certain shots, feel free to post them up and ask more specific questions. Unless you have the innate ability, it takes a while to get accustomed to thinking in manual mode. ;)

slowly learning manual mode, wrote down all settings on auto and have toyed with those in manual. coming along ok i suppose.

have been more occupied finishing the canopy im making for it, as well as the light rack for the 5 gallon sump thats going under it.

Instead of manual mode, you might want to go into aperture priority or shutter priority modes. I'll agree that a sturdy tripod is almost a must as you get more serious. Like others have said above, pumps off, let the tank calm down and you'll get good shots. Also, whenever possible, shoot perpendicular to the glass of your tank. As you move away from perpendicular you'll get really bad distortions in your photos.

I assume by "the lens that came with it" you mean an 18-55mm? It's a solid little lens and should take do everything you want with non-"true macro" (i.e. single zoa polyp or sps polyp filling a photograph). There's quite a few tutorials around the web about aperture, shutter speed, and iso, and what they all do. Read one or two, then start playing with your camera. You might pick up a free trial of lightroom, as the digital dark room development part of photography is very important.

I tossed up a couple of pictures showing the difference of two different developments of a flower here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/327669-im-thinking-of-going-dslr/?p=4365302

Skip the manual mode till you fully understand the camera. Stay on aperture priority. Take tons of pics and analyze the EXIF info on the ones you like and the ones you don't like. Understand what went wrong and what went well.

If you need a macro lens, you can get a Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro for like $200. It's pretty decent. I actually have one for sale if you are interested. BUT I wouldn't rush and buy a bunch of lens without understanding the type of photography you like doing.

All the macro pics in this set were taken with the Sigma 50mm f2.8. It's cheap, and it does its job well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40199713@N03/sets/72157624212317007/

Why the heck are you guys telling him to not use manual mode? Its damn near impossible to get good FTS shots without it, and absolutely a must for macros. If he wants a true understanding of how a camera works, manual is where its at. Aperture and Shutter priority modes are Auto mode with the ability to set one parameter.

Learn to walk before you run...

It's easier to learn how a camera works by using aperture or shutter mode. To YOU, manual may be where it's at. But you shouldn't tell someone new to photography to just jump into manual mode.

Why not? And how is it easier?

Manual mode is not as difficult as people try to make it out to be and I told him a sure-fire way to begin: use P auto mode to get a gauge on the exposure and switch to manual to experiment. He can even use Tv and Av modes in the same way I suggested P mode, as an exposure gauge. Its actually really very simple. I know too many photographers who start using Tv and Av modes and get stuck there.

Why not? And how is it easier?

Manual mode is not as difficult as people try to make it out to be and I told him a sure-fire way to begin: use P auto mode to get a gauge on the exposure and switch to manual to experiment. He can even use Tv and Av modes in the same way I suggested P mode, as an exposure gauge. Its actually really very simple. I know too many photographers who start using Tv and Av modes and get stuck there.

Shooting in manual mode vs Aperture priority means that you are either manually setting the shutter speed to exactly what the camera would have put it at on auto anyway or you are letting ISO cover your ass. I typically go with Av and manual control my ISO so to change the shutter speed is gonna do nothing more than change the exposure and in AP mode, you can still change the Shutter speed by changing the exposure level if that is needed. This is the reason photographers get stuck in TV or AV modes.

Every shot has a priority. Most lenses have an aperture sweet spot which is another good reason for shooting Av.

Shooting in manual mode vs Aperture priority means that you are either manually setting the shutter speed to exactly what the camera would have put it at on auto anyway or you are letting ISO cover your ass.

If you do it that way, you'll end up with a somewhat over/underexposed shot because autos almost never get the exposure spot-on.

I typically go with Av and manual control my ISO so to change the shutter speed is gonna do nothing more than change the exposure and in AP mode, you can still change the Shutter speed by changing the exposure level if that is needed.

So you're basically doing Manual controls in a very roundabout way.

Every shot has a priority. Most lenses have an aperture sweet spot which is another good reason for shooting Av.

And you can set the aperture in Manual too.

What I'm getting at here is: Using Manual mode is a GOOD thing. If OP wants to learn it, why tell him not to?

+1 for learning to use manual over Av mode. You either have to exposure compensation in Av mode or change the shutter speed in manual mode. It's much easier to change the shutter speed than exposure compensation on most cameras (generally mapped to a wheel instead of a touch screen or menu).

Use a tripod. Also, if you have light room, hook your camera up to your computer, and you can view the photos directly in lightroom the second you take them, which will help you adjust settings as well, as you'll get much more detail than you will on the tiny screen on a camera. You can even trigger the shutter from light room if you wanted to.

It depends on the situation. For full tank shots or for shots with constant lighting? Sure go manual all the way. But if you're outdoors and taking pictures of kids or something, go with Av or Tv.

A tripod is a must for aquarium photography.

Archived