Innovative Marine Aquariums

Corals / CUC / Fish

JROC

Okay, I am going to start stocking the 3.5 nano this week....but wanted to get some opinions. I think I know the answer but many minds are better than one!

I would like to have one small fish, a clam, 6-8 samll corals, and a clean up crew in this tank.

The quesion is: In what order would it be best to add these? What should I get first, second, etc.? Do we think it matters?

I will post some pics this weekend. Thanks for any input!

Lunchbucket

i would not do a fish in a 3.5 gal!  way too small IMO.  i won't even do a fish  in my 5.5gal.  do an invert tank...maybe a cleaner shrimp as you showcase animal.

anyhow add cleanup crew, time, corals.

Lunchbucket

Quote: from Lunchbucket on 10:36 am on June 20, 2002[br]i would not do a fish in a 3.5 gal!  way too small IMO.  i won't even do a fish  in my 5.5gal.  do an invert tank...maybe a cleaner shrimp as you showcase animal.

Why? Is the thought that they need a larger "territory"? If you have 2 fish in a 10 gallon then they have basically 5 gallons each, not much more, plus they have the stress of dealing with eachother at close quarters. Would'nt 1 small fish in 3.5 be less stressed since it would have no fish "competing" for territory? Waste should not be a problem since I do 3 - 5 small H20 changes a week. I appreciate your comments, just curious what your reasoning is.

Lunchbucket

Quote: from JROC on 2:09 pm on June 20, 2002[br]
Quote: from Lunchbucket on 10:36 am on June 20, 2002[br]i would not do a fish in a 3.5 gal!  way too small IMO.  i won't even do a fish  in my 5.5gal.  do an invert tank...maybe a cleaner shrimp as you showcase animal.

Lunchbucket

Sorry..below was my relpy to you and above was your comment..duh

Why? Is the thought that they need a larger "territory"? If you have 2 fish in a 10 gallon then they have basically 5 gallons each, not much more, plus they have the stress of dealing with eachother at close quarters. Would'nt 1 small fish in 3.5 be less stressed since it would have no fish "competing" for territory? Waste should not be a problem since I do 3 - 5 small H20 changes a week. I appreciate your comments, just curious what your reasoning is.

what fish would you keep in a 3.5 gallon?

most gets up to 3 inches +

it is posible to keep fish in a small tank...but lets not forget that there are going to be corals in there which also secrete toxins....and plus a fish...phew...controlling that environment would be challenging...

so IMO your better off buying a bigger tank, if you like fishes...

but i know your incouraged to do stuff like this...so i wish you luck and fun....

mike

Lunchbucket

i personaly wouldn't do 2 fish in a 10 gallon.  maybe a pair of clowns or somthing like that.  i am a fan of a low bioload w/ lots of corals, so i dont' do many fish in tanks.  if the person wants lots of fish they need a FOWLR tank and should be bigger than a 10gal for sure!

just my prefernce i guess but 3.5gal isn't much room for a bioload or a mess up.  i would play it safe.

Lunchbucket

I wouldnt do a fish in a 3.5 either. Its not so much a territory area, its the maintainence and the water quality issues. A 3.5 gal tank, after considering displacement for rock/sand/corals and whatnot, you might get 2.5-3 gallons of actual water. That is not going to be a very stable system. You could probably manage a neon goby, as they stay small and you could get away with feeding it once or twice a week.

Nishant3789

the clam will definetly need more lighting and a bigger tank, it will be ok for like the first year with more lighting but then it will have to go into a big reef tank. they prefer metal hilide lighting. the fish i realy dont have an opinion yet, i think it would be easier to have no fish since ud have less of a bioload, and u may be able to get a way with a small fish for a year or so again, but it will grow too big, and the fact that ure tank is a hex doesnt help eitherull need to have more space for it to swim in.. hth

nishant

Archived