Pod Your Reef

Acan growth - how does it work?

venturalvn

I have 2 new heads growing on my acan frag. The frag I got came with 3 heads, and now the 2 new ones are growing on the side of the skeleton. Will new heads keep growing like a carpet like GSP, or will the skeleton eventually grow to catch up and create more space for new heads/flesh?

Seamonkey84

Depends on how you have them mounted. If you have them on a rock it will continue to spread and then grow the skeleton across the surface. If its on the sandbed, it will end up growing more skeleton into a ball shape.

Depends on how you have them mounted. If you have them on a rock it will continue to spread and then grow the skeleton across the surface. If its on the sandbed, it will end up growing more skeleton into a ball shape.

For not it's just on a frag plug, but the skeleton hasn't grown at all (to my naked, untrained eye), so I was hoping that wasn't a bad sign. I kinda like having this one separate from the liverock, but it's good to know it will grow on liverock if I want it to.
jedimasterben

They grow much slower if you do not keep them on a flat surface, as they have to add far more of a skeleton to do so.

Here is my acan starting out as a single head:

And here it is about 6 months later, same spot in the sand:

As you can see it grew into a ball and probably has about 15 heads now all still growing out.

This is exactly the shape mine has started to turn into.

They grow much slower if you do not keep them on a flat surface, as they have to add far more of a skeleton to do so.

So they eventually grow more skeleton, but nothing like how an acros/digi grow their skeleton? I will have to find a nice piece to attach this to then.
gulfsurfer101

Yes, they will grow much faster attached to the rockwork. Try n find some cool pieces for them to take over.

Seamonkey84

I have most of mine mounted on flat tiles and burry most of it. That way as it grows and spreads I can add tiles then frag.

• 3 years later...

Archived