SaltCritters.com

Is a 150w too much for a 10gal.

Leafy

Christopher Marks

A 150 would likely be alright to use, but there is a much bigger risk of a problem if it were to break/malfunction. When I first set up my nano reef, I had a 50w visi-therm heater in it. After about 4 months it broke, and continually heated the tank (never turned off when it got to the set temperature). It managed to reach 92 degrees before I found out.

I think the 150 watt heater is fine in a 10 gallon tank. I have a 100 watt heater in my 10 gallon. But there is 2 conditions to consider when using that big of a heater. the first one is how good the heater is a 10 dollar hang on top heater is not very good. where a 25-30 dollar submersible heater is better. The second is how old the heater is. if its a good heater I would replace it about every 5 years to make sure it doesnt malfunction and overheat the tank. bigger heaters have a benefit that smaller heaters dont offer. Lets say you live in oregon (which i used to) and the tempature drops drasticly during the night hours and you happen to be at a club and leave the windows open. The 150 watt heaters will keep it warm even if the temp goes down into the 40s (which means you need to heat the tank at least 30 degrees) where the 50watt might not keep up or warm to slowly to maintain a stable temp. Now this is a drastic change but in the event something like that were to happen its nice to know you have a heater to cover it. A heater is not the place to cheap out and try to save your cash. the extra money could mean the difference between a success and a crash!

Just my Insite

Joe

Archived