Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

filtration

Brianc_4

In am currently running a 20h with a milenium 1000 hob. It aint doin the trick. I was hoping to hear some suggestions for specific filters for this size reef. I would rather not do a sump, due to a lack of space. Cannister or HOB is what I"m looking for.So if you could tell me your brand and model preferences, it would be appreciated.

TIA:happy:

I used to run some with canisters like the Magnum 350 with nothing more than some sponge media to filter out detritus and waste. The new Fluvals are pretty nice. Either one is a good choice in my opinion.

You could also use a larger Aquaclear hang on filter like a 300 or something.

What do you mean by not doing the trick? Not enough flow? Not enough actual turnover? Too dirty?

Cameron

Which cannister? I have no experience with cannisters, only HOBs, and sumps. Is fluval good, or is eheim worth the extra money. Or are there some other brands out there that are comparable or better.

Look into the Filstars. Very similar to the Eheim Pro series as far as design, flow rates, ease of use, and quietness. And you can pick one up for <$100 at www.bigalsonline.com . I've been running one for about a year and a half on a 55g mbuna tank, and I love it. Comes with a multi-pieced flowbar so you'd be able to customize it however you like.

JMO, I like HOB's for small reefs. Run 'em empty. Easy access for dosing or running media if you need to. Also breaks up the surface nicely. I run a AC200 on my 10g. I don't know what the Milenium does as far as flow rate, but an AC500 (even the 300) would add some noticeable movement to a 20g.

get the eheim classic model 2013. i use one on my 55 gallon discus tank along with an aquaclear 300 and it works great. no noise at all, it has cut off valves and comes with a spray bar. they are like 80 bucks at www.bigalsonline.com

Archived