SaltCritters.com

Review of the Lumia 5.1 - PAR readings, pics, etc

jedimasterben

Last test..

I change 2 LDD 700-H for LDD-700-HW (wired version), and the current in this LDD's still in 540mA....That discharge any problem in the LDD + PCB.

the test suppling power directly from batteries, discharge problems with the Storm X.

only part that I can not test are the Lumia.

Any idea why I can not supply more than 540mA to Lumia??? With this current the PAR of the lumia are very very poor.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think so. The base is copper on both versions. It's more than adequate to support full power on all channels.

jedimasterben

Last test..

I change 2 LDD 700-H for LDD-700-HW (wired version), and the current in this LDD's still in 540mA....That discharge any problem in the LDD + PCB.

the test suppling power directly from batteries, discharge problems with the Storm X.

only part that I can not test are the Lumia.

Any idea why I can not supply more than 540mA to Lumia??? With this current the PAR of the lumia are very very poor.

I meant power supply to the LDD boards, not the dimming circuit. How are your power supplies connected to the LDD boards?

That I would have to see !!! Would you really be willing to fork out over $200 for just a light on a jar aquarium ?

Try 400.

Unless you went with just on-off timer control, that would be 200.

I think Milad dropped the price of though, so give or take. Point is power supply, drivers, controller, heatsink, fan, mounting hardware etc all add up. I have considered, like Gilligan, putting mine over a small nano/pico. I keep thinking to the Fluval edge 12G maybe.

I'd venture to say that Clive is familiar with MCPCB design. ;)

Uh, yeah :)

DNK, look, you know your stuff. There are many of us here that know what we are doing too. Many of us have also got our hands on these units and know how they operate, and it sounds like you haven't. I've put both through the wringer and have zero issues with the thermal performance of the setup. And seeing as you didn't design it, you have no idea what isolation material is being used, and what the thermal resistance is. You can speculate all you want, but real world testing says it works fine.

Try 400.

Unless you went with just on-off timer control, that would be 200.

I think Milad dropped the price of though, so give or take. Point is power supply, drivers, controller, heatsink, fan, mounting hardware etc all add up. I have considered, like Gilligan, putting mine over a small nano/pico. I keep thinking to the Fluval edge 12G maybe.

Yeah,$342 for everything.

.9!?!

I think I have one of those cube vases under the sink.

Whats your maintenance on it like?

Hahah yes .9. It's isn't a cycle now,but only top off a a few oz's of water a day so far. If you have anymore ?'s about it,wanna take it to the appropriate thread ;) ??! Don't wanna get off topic here.

farkwar, evilc66 I have only two questions - did you OWN test of SinkPAD MCPCB? Did you use thermal vision for thermal testing?

evilc66 please be informed - best insulator can provide for usual MCPCB no more than 5W/mK. SinkPAD - 135-385W/mK. Please note - material of base of MCPCB in first case (I mean - usual type of MCPCB) does not matter for overall thermal conductivity.

To be honest, 5W/mK - it is very best result for usual MCPCB. It may be only in dreams of manufacturers of MCPCB, real figures is not more than 4W/mK. SinkPAD has confirmed this :) Please check http://www.sinkpad.com/what-is-sinkpad.php

I would not want you to see in my words criticism of other manufacturers. They go their own way, I have my own way. But I would like to see the basic concepts were understood by all.

I meant power supply to the LDD boards, not the dimming circuit. How are your power supplies connected to the LDD boards?

Directly from the power supplies. The PCB have 2 location for V+ and V-, goes to there directly.

jedimasterben

Are you connecting one board to one power supply or are you connecting both power supplies to both boards?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Directly from the power supply to the PCB. The power supply offer 49v dc to the PCB.

I'm tired to try a solution.... I think that I will send all the equipment to the trash... :(

Hi again,

Directly from the power supply to the PCB. The power supply offer 49v dc to the PCB.

I'm tired to try a solution.... I think that I will send all the equipment to the trash... :(

Before you do that,

Send it to me to see if I can get it working for you. You'll need to pay shipping forward and back.

jedimasterben

Hi again,

That's quite an investment to toss out. There is an issue somewhere, but it is not with the LDD or with the boards. Makes me think that something is funky with the power supplies. Are the two connected together or is one power supply running only one board, etc?

farkwar, evilc66 I have only two questions - did you OWN test of SinkPAD MCPCB? Did you use thermal vision for thermal testing?

evilc66 please be informed - best insulator can provide for usual MCPCB no more than 5W/mK. SinkPAD - 135-385W/mK. Please note - material of base of MCPCB in first case (I mean - usual type of MCPCB) does not matter for overall thermal conductivity.

To be honest, 5W/mK - it is very best result for usual MCPCB. It may be only in dreams of manufacturers of MCPCB, real figures is not more than 4W/mK. SinkPAD has confirmed this :) Please check http://www.sinkpad.com/what-is-sinkpad.php

I would not want you to see in my words criticism of other manufacturers. They go their own way, I have my own way. But I would like to see the basic concepts were understood by all.

Your point is well understood, my experience has alway's been that the coral segment do not overclock their leds like the torchys, they always want to run 3 amp leds at 6 amps and sinks and noctigans are pitched right at this market. The reality is you can use dielectric removed ali boards in the 700ma-to 1A market and get similar w/mK figures and get them cheaper than SP. The issue I see as more pertinent is the reams of threads on power supply issues, poor inefficient power supplies are going to add thermal inefficiences into system design beyond PCB design in a <=1amp drive segment like coral lights

welight, did you have checked temperature of the LED crystal by thermal vision? If yes, can I familiarise photo of this testing for tight LED assemblies?

DNK,

I have a working "typical" Lumia 5.1.

Would you be interested in taking thermal video of it as it ramps up to 100%?

welight, did you have checked temperature of the LED crystal by thermal vision? If yes, can I familiarise photo of this testing for tight LED assemblies?

I have a working "typical" Lumia 5.1.

Would you be interested in taking thermal video of it as it ramps up to 100%?

Yes, it will be interesting. Thank you for offer.

Please note - only after full heat-up. I think, it required minimum 30 minutes. Also temperature of heatsink below of Lumia is important. In short word, I'd like to know temperature difference between heatsink and crystal of LED.

I have a production facility with all the tesing equipment required,I build and sell every permutation of led on PCB that is currently available and some that arent. As I said the issues are understood, your pushing a product, I get it. I dont dispute what your saying, its true. but what your discussing is the margins with respect to operation in a market that does not push the thermal limits. In this market the focus needs to be on the system performance in total

In this market the focus needs to be on the system performance in total

Agreed. But, please confirm - you still not testing SinkPAD MCPCB, I understand you correctly?

Archived