Innovative Marine Aquariums

World's slowest custom 85g system. ...and there was coral. (p.18)

Rollermonkey

OMG. it's about time. ha ha :lol: I've been a faithful watcher here so I'm ready to see the beginnings of this show.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rollermonkey

...and this way, I can put the update at the top of the page instead of the bottom.

I dip complicated:

Start by floating all the bags, in a large, heated rubbermaid container, and removing the outer-most bag from each coral or frag, and then around the rest, removing one bag at a time until everything is in it's inner-most bag only. (Some of these things were inside 5 bags!)

Then:

15 minute bath in Two Little Fishies Revive / salt water

15 minute recovery in fresh salt water

15 minute bath in Reef Pest Solutions / salt water

15 minute recovery in separate fresh salt water

15 minute freshRODI water dip

Extended recovery in the original container (which never got any store water in it) with SeaChem Stress Guard. (This is new for me, it was in the box, so I used it.)

My containers aren't very big, so I had to run three batches in sequence, hence the two-hour event time.

...and this way, I can put the update at the top of the page instead of the bottom.

I dip complicated:

Start by floating all the bags, in a large, heated rubbermaid container, and removing the outer-most bag from each coral or frag, and then around the rest, removing one bag at a time until everything is in it's inner-most bag only. (Some of these things were inside 5 bags!)

Then:

15 minute bath in Two Little Fishies Revive / salt water

15 minute recovery in fresh salt water

15 minute bath in Reef Pest Solutions / salt water

15 minute recovery in separate fresh water

15 minute fresh water dip

Extended recovery in the original container (which never got any store water in it) with SeaChem Stress Guard. (This is new for me, it was in the box, so I used it.)

My containers aren't very big, so I had to run three batches in sequence, hence the two-hour event time.

and meanwhile, while the seasons change.....ha ha ha. You're being very cautious which is admirable.

Rollermonkey

Sorry about the lighting on some of these...

Blenny is very protective of her food. She's practically wearing it like a serape.

P1000911_zps30c4d7e6.jpg

For each, I'm posting one immediately post-dip and one after an hour in the DT.

Frag #1 purple montipora capricornis

(This had been sharing a frag with a green monti cap, but it came off the plug)

P1000923_zpseef82092.jpg

P1000942_zpsfab56bb1.jpg

Frag #2 green montipora capricornis (bonus frag)

(this was the frag that had the purple on it)

P1000924_zpsde584d57.jpg

P1000950_zps08d3320e.jpg

Frag #3 "wow toxic" psamacorra sp

P1000920_zpse8de02f7.jpg

P1000948_zps83c1c6b8.jpg

Frag #4 'blue eyes' trumpet (Caulastrea sp.)

P1000919_zpsad4e2373.jpg

P1000946_zps7fc9d12f.jpg

Frag #5 'appleberry' montipora capitata

P1000925_zps8995209d.jpg

(on the right)

P1000949_zps9275591f.jpg

Frag #6 unknown zoanthid (probably miami vice)

P1000918_zps17a9f424.jpg

on the right and still VERY pissed off...

P1000952_zps8bdc095f.jpg

Frag #7 unknown zoanthid (bonus frag)

P1000916_zps7c2dedb9.jpg

(This is in the picture just above, on the left. No other zoas in this order.)

Frag #8 turquoise discomas mushroom

(Not sure why no frag plug / frag prison...)

P1000921_zps0e44ab65.jpg

I just deposited it inside a small hole and I'm hoping it stays put... Couldn't really get a picture.

Frag #9 'sea dreams' (?) ricordea mushroom (I think, this ID and #10 may be backwards)

P1000922_zps023c80e1.jpg

P1000939_zpsddc7bc8a.jpg

Frag #10 ricordea mushroom (bonus frag)

P1000926_zpsabd6f4a7.jpg

(foreground)

P1000947_zps6ee140e9.jpg

Frag #11 duncans

P1000927_zpsadb594e9.jpg

(on the left)

P1000949_zps9275591f.jpg

Frag #12 'caribbean dream' leptastrea

P1000934_zpsda9c6fe7.jpg

(foreground)

P1000937_zps2585096c.jpg

Frag #13 'birds of paradise' birdsnest

P1000935_zps29dfdde6.jpg

(background)

P1000937_zps2585096c.jpg

Frag #14 'mystic sapphire' favia

P1000913_zps417bbb6d.jpg

P1000943_zpsdb66201c.jpg

Frag #15 'rainbow delight' chalice

P1000932_zpsdf3a9a2c.jpg

P1000936_zps97ba0fb1.jpg

Frag #16 'fiery' digitata

P1000933_zpsa638aaf7.jpg

...or is it a penis coral?

P1000951_zps40d34433.jpg

Coral #17 pink fungia plate coral

P1000929_zps11ef236a.jpg

P1000940_zps43257b75.jpg

Coral #18 purple rim fungia plate coral

P1000928_zpsddceaef5.jpg

P1000941_zpsf9f55e74.jpg

Oh, and a bottle of tigger pods and another pound-ish of chaeto.

I think that's everything. :)

Oh. New FTS, right?

P1000953_zps86b10deb.jpg

Bam.

Probably nothing to update for a while, apart from when/if some of the corals open up better.

The next steps are to finish the blenny QT, move the blue assessor and helfrichi firefish from the 'cube, before I can get the Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse pair delivered.

But progress is progress. :D

...and here's hoping I didn't kill everything with my draconian dip regimen.

Rollermonkey

Actually, only the rainbow delight chalice is red. I aim for blue, aqua, purple, pink and green. The fiery digitata should be orange, but everything else should be one of those five colors, IIRC.

I thought something had stung me, shortly before I finished, but now I see it's a shallow cut... Hopefully it doesn't become a problem.

Oh, and I'm definitely glad I did the triple-dip. There was stuff that had fallen off in all three dip containers. A lot in the first one, a little less in the second and only a little in the fresh water, but still. It just goes to show that a single dip in anything isn't enough to remove all pests/hitchhikers from a frag.

Rollermonkey

Somebody said they wanted to see when I put the sight glass on my mixing station... OK. Here it is:

Simple, really. Bulkhead, elbow and clear PVC pipe (from the LFS).

P1000956_zpsc985c8a0.jpg

As I mentioned previously, finding something that floats, and was small enough to fit in the pipe, but not so small that it could pass through the elbow was tricky. After some google-fu, I found a plastic worm gear that meets those criteria.

When the tank is empty, the float sits here:

P1000955_zps9949a108.jpg

...and after making about 5 or 6 gallons, it has floated up this far:

P1000958_zpsfa2db03e.jpg

That was me asking. I was just getting ready to ask how it went. Looks just how I pictured it would work. Thanks for the update.

Rollermonkey

Finally energized the skimmer and biopellet reactor.

I fired up the GFO/carbon reactor, but the sponges didn't stay in place and media was blowing through the sponges... Both are problems I need to sort out with the builder.

• 1 month later...

Finishing up my water station using yours as a model. Because I live in an apartment, didn't have the luxury of hiding it in the garage. :) I had meant to ask you this earlier, but what did you use for your hose from the pump to the tank?

Rollermonkey

Hey, there. I'm using a 1/2" PVC tubing... It's not pipe, or even flex-PVC, but more like the tubing for the RODI, scaled up. It uses a John Guest fitting, and that screws right into a standard 1/2" PVC pipe fitting. I got all of it at Lowe's.

Rollermonkey

It's not too bad. It's keeping it's shape a bit better than I expected, but it works pretty well.

In other news, both plates are now the center of a cyanobacterial breakout. From that RG shipment, none of the sps have survived, nor did the duncans. The ricordeas wandered off of the frags they were on, and I haven't seen either in a week. The zoas that were a bonus frag vanished, possibly eaten by the strawberry crab?

It's probably all new tank syndrome, but I'm starting to hate coral.

• 2 weeks later...
Rollermonkey

I guess I just decided on my tank's showstopper:

http://s179.photobucket.com/user/rollermonkey/media/lg-0423141-179_zps76beb975.jpg.html'>lg-0423141-179_zps76beb975.jpg

Watanabei Angel (female) - LA seems to think it's a difficult species, but all the reading I found and people who own them seem to think that the only real problems are associated with decompression. Easy feeders, absolutely not coral nippers or aggressive at all, etc. As a Diver's Den selection, sounds like a good choice. :)

great lookin' fish- love the black splotches on the face and the black accent lines on the fins- how big does it get?

Rollermonkey

She is here, and she is in QT.

http://s179.photobucket.com/user/rollermonkey/media/P1000973_zpsaf55cb92.jpg.html'>P1000973_zpsaf55cb92.jpg

I can't get over the coloration. These are no flash, ambient light only, no adjustments.

http://s179.photobucket.com/user/rollermonkey/media/P1000963_zps2a42d2f2.jpg.html'>P1000963_zps2a42d2f2.jpg

She spends most of her time so far looking at me.

http://s179.photobucket.com/user/rollermonkey/media/P1000970_zpsd14d4896.jpg.html'>P1000970_zpsd14d4896.jpg

With a fish this size in 20G for QT, I can imagine that I'm going to have to stay on top of water changes a lot more than with the smaller ones.

• 4 weeks later...
Rollermonkey

Took two weeks to show up, but pretty sure the angel has ich. I'm starting treatment today. I'm just glad I QT every fish, no matter what the source is, and thus caught it before she went into the DT.

• 3 weeks later...
Rollermonkey

The fantastic luck I've been having struck again today when the Watanabei angel died during ich treatment.

Oh, and the male from that bonded pair of Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse I had bought and was waiting to finish this QT before having them shipped died in the vendor's tank a week ago.

The fantastic luck I've been having struck again today when the Watanabei angel died during ich treatment.

Oh, and the male from that bonded pair of Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse I had bought and was waiting to finish this QT before having them shipped died in the vendor's tank a week ago.

Awh that's awful! I'm sorry to hear that, that angel was gorgeous.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived