Pod Your Reef

what kind of coral?

the deacon

the deacon

I saw this coral at the lfs and wondered what kind it was and what the care requirements are; lighting, feeding, water movement, and the like.

Thanks for the info

deacon

harbingerofthefish

IDK but it doesnt look like a brain to me. Brains outer "polyp" tissue usually connects giving the "maze brain" name.

looks like a sea mat to me. Zoanthids. But i have never seen one that the mat was so profound like that.

the deacon

ya I think i've narrowed it down to Palythoa cf. tuberculosa great addition to the tank. thanks for the help everyone.

deacon

Dr. Saltwater

It is a Polyp Coral for sure!

I can't see the real coral because it's not extended. If it is, it's surely a Protopalythoa sp.. If it extends with VERY small tentacles on the edge of he heart it is Zoanthus sp..

the deacon

what would be husbandry requirements for this palythoa, I susupect it is much that same as my zoo's, but not 100%

harbingerofthefish

deacon, thanks for the sci. name. I wasnt aware their were two types of palyothoas.

I have several colonies of P. victitus. I keep them in the same water conditions os my zoos and they seem to lke it. I would assume it would be the same for these as well. Since they dont appear to grow vertically as much as their cousins, maybe higher flow areas, like most patted polyped corals (gsp and encrusting gorgonians etc...)

Archived