Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyclad Flatworm BATTLE TO THE DEATH!

racer_X_123

racer_X_123

THE BATTLE STORY IS ON PAGE 2!!!

So I got home and turned the light on and saw this! I figured it is some sort of nudibranch?.

Anyone? Is it reef safe? Should I get it out? How? Its about 2-3" long and about 1" wide.

No visible head or face or whatever

Thanks!

post-74853-0-95761400-1370578424_thumb.jpg

post-74853-0-43805200-1370578437_thumb.jpg

fretfreak13

Looks to be a flatworm of some sort. Some are bad, some are harmless. I don't know much about them personally, but maybe someone else will chime in about your particular one or at least the term "flatworm" can help you find what yours is specifically. =)

racer_X_123

Just the assorted corals SPS, LPS, Zoas, clown fish, snails, and a hermit.

Im afraid it might get too big!

ArmoredSaint

Well my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be. I can't even find it in the first picture, but the second one appears to be a polycladida flatworm in the Acotylean family. I base this off of its shape and color. If I am right these are predatory to sessile marine invertebrates. So if you have any of these watch out, if not it will probably starve to death.

If you can find out if it has a cotyl "sucker" on it, I may be able to give further identification.

ArmoredSaint

Sorry for a late reply. I have to study for an upcoming test.

After some more digging around I think you have a Tytthosoceros lizardensis, it could also be Pseudoceros colemani. Both do not have much information regarding their diet. You will probably want to pull it.

Killerbunny

I just spotted one of these in my tank. It's HUGE, and as soon as I turned the lights on it slithered into a rock.

I googled the two suggestions by ArmoredSaint above- and thank you for that!- but I didn't find anything quite like mine or Racer_X_123's.

It's a fairly translucent slug/creature with white spots. Mine is easily two and a half or three inches long.

racer_X_123

I SAW IT AGAIN!!!

I tried to grab it with some long tweezers and it was too thin and slippery.

I did grab some of it though and the end of the tweezers were all slimey and had a small moving piece of it still attached.

It retreated into the rocks..

KILL IT WITH FIREEEEEE

I SAW IT AGAIN!!!

I tried to grab it with some long tweezers and it was too thin and slippery.

I did grab some of it though and the end of the tweezers were all slimey and had a small moving piece of it still attached.

It retreated into the rocks..

Deleted User 3

dip the rock its in in h2o2. it will come out, and you will kill any other things in it, like bristleworms, mini brittle starfish, etc.

racer_X_123

Both of those suggestions are way easier said than done. The rock it went into is basically the center hub for all my rock work unfortunately

Deleted User 3

I know, it sucks lol. You could always make a worm trap. You'd have to google that one, I have no experience there.

dip the rock its in in h2o2. it will come out, and you will kill any other things in it, like bristleworms, mini brittle starfish, etc.

Mine was more of a joke.. :-D

Rollermonkey

Pull the rock.

hydrogen peroxide or soda water dip.

If you don't know what rock it's in, you may have to dip 'em all.

They eat your snails.

A quick google brought up a ream of horror stories.

Rollermonkey

Seriously, google polyclad flatworm and read what those things have done to tanks. I read about 4 or 5 stories of eliminated snail populations and crashed tanks in the first couple clicks.

racer_X_123

Ok, well I made a trap and baited it with some sinking food pellets I had. It is one where he should be able to get in really easy but not have as easy a time getting out.

Hopefully he will get trapped tonight.

Maybe thats why I have been having water parameter issues.

racer_X_123

So I have baited the trap with some shrimp and it has not taken the bait. I am going to keep trying, but i have also not seen it again.

if i see it I am going to get the turkey baster and suck that sucker up!

Killerbunny

I managed to get mine out! I got extremely lucky though. It was out when the lights were off- I noticed because it was slithering over the backlit display on my heater- and I tried to turkey-baster it, but it was seriously too big and thick to get sucked up. It retreated into the back chamber of my biocube, where I was able to just stick my (gloved) hand in and grab it.

It slimes. A lot.

racer_X_123

Its still on the loose. I have not seen it after I tried to grab it a few nights ago with tweezers.

I look every time I get up at night with my red flashlight. It ate all my Florida cerith snails from reef cleaners I just bought.

Archived