Cultivated Reef

may have nuked my xenia tank

wowser

happyhour99

I used Purigen once. First, it did nothing noticeable for my nitrates (which weren't that bad to begin with) and second, after regenerating it and flushing the $*#! out of it, it was light brown and smelled like dead fish. I'm not exaggerating. I couldn't bring myself to use it again and tossed it.

Well its designed to absorb organics. It basically does the same thing as a skimmer. How does skimmate smell? If it is still brown, then its not done regenerating and still has organics on the resin. 2nd it does not absorb nitrates, it absorbs organics which if left alone can turn into ammonia ->nitrite -> nitrate. If you already have low nitrates, then most likely those are coming from a little junk in you tank some where and the purgin is helping to prevent nitrate from increasing.

You're doing it wrong. (and it won't help nitrate at all, it absorbs dissolved organics, which will, in turn, slightly help to prevent more from accumulating, assuming you do not add so much as to exhaust it)

Think of Purigen exactly like you would carbon, because they do very similar (and some of the same) things.

+1 except its targeted at organics, where carbon can help with some metals and other stuff.

I still can't fathom why people insist on soaking regenerated Purigen in dechlorinator. Simply let it dry out. Boom, no bleach, no chlorine, no ammonia, nada.

Have you had success with this? Bleach and chlorine can hang out in the resin even after drying. I mean how often have you bleached something and it smelled of beach for weeks after, even ceramics (one big reason i generally avoid using bleach). If you had success, let us know. I would love to get 2 bags and then let 1 dry out after regeneration while the other one works.

couldn't wait any longer. Pulled one rock out at a time and scrapped 95% of the xenia off. Came off easier than I thought and I could just tell the stuff was heading toward death. The tank is just too small to survive that kind of die-off, especially 70% of the tank's volume in a dying coral. It was pretty nasty stuff. Have a bucket of water almost ready for a 98% water change. Hopefully my little clown will survive all this. He is a tough little guy though.

Am guessing I'll go through a mini cycle after all this. Should I pull the Chemipure Elite that's only a week old? Is it expended after all this or should I leave it?

jedimasterben

Well its designed to absorb organics. It basically does the same thing as a skimmer. How does skimmate smell? If it is still brown, then its not done regenerating and still has organics on the resin. 2nd it does not absorb nitrates, it absorbs organics which if left alone can turn into ammonia ->nitrite -> nitrate. If you already have low nitrates, then most likely those are coming from a little junk in you tank some where and the purgin is helping to prevent nitrate from increasing.

+1 except its targeted at organics, where carbon can help with some metals and other stuff.

Have you had success with this? Bleach and chlorine can hang out in the resin even after drying. I mean how often have you bleached something and it smelled of beach for weeks after, even ceramics (one big reason i generally avoid using bleach). If you had success, let us know. I would love to get 2 bags and then let 1 dry out after regeneration while the other one works.

It's all I've ever done to it, for both what is in my reef and in my FW planted tank. I have a bunch of shrimp in the planted tank that would have died a long time ago.

Just soak in the 1:1 solution until it is bone white (a few hours, then shake, a few hours, then shake, etc, so that all the surfaces touch the bleach to oxidize it all) and then just let it dry, usually takes 12-24 hours (sometimes more, but not by much). If you want to make sure, let it sit for 12 hours, then shake, then let sit another 12, and it's ready.

happyhour99

It's all I've ever done to it, for both what is in my reef and in my FW planted tank. I have a bunch of shrimp in the planted tank that would have died a long time ago.

Just soak in the 1:1 solution until it is bone white (a few hours, then shake, a few hours, then shake, etc, so that all the surfaces touch the bleach to oxidize it all) and then just let it dry, usually takes 12-24 hours (sometimes more, but not by much). If you want to make sure, let it sit for 12 hours, then shake, then let sit another 12, and it's ready.

cool good to know

Drift Monkey

Do as you normally do with bleach then prime but then store it and let it dry out completely. If you have two, you will always have one ready to go and one stored/drying. This way there is no residue left when it comes time to change your purigen.

I still can't fathom why people insist on soaking regenerated Purigen in dechlorinator. Simply let it dry out. Boom, no bleach, no chlorine, no ammonia, nada.

According to Seachem...you aren't to let Purigen dry out...hence the dechlor / ro/di soaks. Drying it completely weakens the resin and makes it prone to cracking/breaking.

According to Seachem...you aren't to let Purigen dry out...hence the dechlor / ro/di soaks. Drying it completely weakens the resin and makes it prone to cracking/breaking.

I didn't know that so thanks for that info!

However, I used it this way for several years with no problems of it breaking. Maybe that's something that happens over a long period but at that point I would replace it. I would definitely say let it dry vs risking livestock, many people do this without problems.

jedimasterben

I haven't had any issue with it. I've had the same bag in my FW tank for over a year, and I regenerate it this way at a minimum once per month. I can notice the very next day when the Purigen is not in the water (my wood still leaches tannins), and as soon as I put it back in the tank, it goes back to being perfectly clear.

Drift Monkey

I didn't know that so thanks for that info!

However, I used it this way for several years with no problems of it breaking. Maybe that's something that happens over a long period but at that point I would replace it. I would definitely say let it dry vs risking livestock, many people do this without problems.

I've personally never had a problem soaking in prime for a while, then rinsing in RO/DI until I can't smell bleach. I've done it a few times in my planted shrimp tanks...although the first time was sorta nerve racking...:P

Archived