Top Shelf Aquatics

Sully's ZeoPico Reef *new SPS frags*

mgsullivan24

mgsullivan24

It's official, I have red bugs. Not having another place to put the inverts from my tank, anyone have any suggestions on another way to rid red bugs? I'm considering a dragonface pipefish to work on them when food is gone in my tank ill give it to my dad where he can keep it alive and healthy long term.

thesmallerthebetter

It's official, I have red bugs. Not having another place to put the inverts from my tank, anyone have any suggestions on another way to rid red bugs? I'm considering a dragonface pipefish to work on them when food is gone in my tank ill give it to my dad where he can keep it alive and healthy long term.

ive heard of people having success with an interceptor dip, but im not sure of the specifics as far as concentration or duration, but im sure someone will chime in thats dealt with the issue with more frequency.

my experience with biological control is that is is never 100% effective, as the predator is often times not very effective at catching 100% the prey. the pipefish might be a different story but i dont know. i vote for chemical warefare.

mgsullivan24

I'm having a hard time getting my hands on interceptor and I don't have a dog to take to the vet. I'm thinking I'm going to try Bayer Advanced Complete Insect killer.

Do the Red Bugs stay only on acros? If I break the glue and take each piece of sps out and dip them will that kill all of them or are they in the rocks and water column and will always be a problem if I don't treat the tank with something like interceptor?

thesmallerthebetter

im pretty sure the bugs are confined to the corals. although in every one of my encounters at work i just ripped the peice out of the display and tossed it and let the 600watt uv sterilizer polish the tank, but im dealing with a much larger system that dosing would be impractical on and i cant be bothered to risk it with the volume of other life in the tanks.

id do a quick google for interceptor dips, adapt for bayer if thats what you have and give it a shot, and if nothing else, yank the infected bug ridden frags and call it good for now.....it hurts but better than lettin it get outta hand. alternativley, relocate the vulnerable inverts to a rubbermaid with a powerhead and do the whole tank. kinda like a soft reset if you will.

mgsullivan24

I am finding out that this is a minor problem but I am noticing it upsetting my acros and PE is very poor so I want to attack the problem.

I am going to pull all of the sps and dip them in Bayer Advanced. I plan to dip 2-3 times to really try to eradicate them. Phase II of the plan went in today

null_zps24dda49d.jpg

The dragonface pipe fish will stay for a bit till he clear out the pods. The goal is that any bugs left after the dip may be taken care of by the pipefish.

null_zpsa8fa1150.jpgnull_zps1d00ba0e.jpg

Ok I do understand that this fish should not be in this tank. I already have a rehome prepared with a mate. He will only be in my tank till food gets low even if he doesn't eat the redbugs ill pull him when I see pods low. As of right now I know I have a sufficient food source, this tank has a large pod population since there has never been a predator in this tank.

mgsullivan24

So I was planning to spend my day off monday doing a Bayer Advanced dip on my acros then do a WC and spend the rest of my day off enjoying my pest free tank and awesome new pipefish. That was only partially successful...

I had heard so many good things about the Bayer Advanced that I decided it would be best bet for what I have been able to get my hands on. Good news is it definitely killed the red bugs. Success! ....however, it also killed every single bug/invert in the tank including my harlequin shrimp. FAIL :(

What happened was I took 3 buckets of tank water, 1 for dip the other 2 for clean rinse. I mixed up the dip 16oz of tank water to 20ml of Bayer. I was taking acros from the tank with left hand then transferring them to my right hand to place into the dip. Well one time I accidently took my right hand from the dip bucket to the tank. I really didnt think that small amount would be a problem but I was way wrong.

After I finished the dip and rinsing I placed the corals back in the tank. About 10 mins later I walked back over and found a what looked like a sand storm of dead copepod and amphipod bodies floating around the tank. 20 mins later I found the Harlequin belly up. For the next day there was constantly bristle worms and pods floating around the water column. Obviously this killed ALL of the food for new Pipefish. As I care a lot about the responsibility I have towards the tank inhabitants I quickly did a big WC then bagged up the Pipefish and drove 2hrs up to my dads house to put the pipefish in my dads tank back with its mate.

Corals are happy as can be and I am glad but I would NEVER had done this at the expense of the Harlequin.

So moral of the story... Word to the Wise- USE EXTREME CAUTION WITH BAYER AND A SMALL TANK!!!!!

mgsullivan24

Any Zeo users able to tell me the best way to use CV and Xtra? I just got some but I'm debating with myself how often and how much I should start out dosing.

• 2 weeks later...
mgsullivan24

Picked up a few new frags last night. I got an aquacultured blue with green polyp tenius, a random green acro that looks metallic and a very small aqua/teal acro frag that reminds me of

null_zps32d896f1.jpg

null_zps9ae9c734.jpg

null_zpsacc7813b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Very cool tank how much zero start did you use its super concentrated and if I had a 5 gallon 1-2 drops would be all id need

Archived