Pod Your Reef

Prosumer compact type stufffff

HecticDialectics

HecticDialectics

Hi everyone,

I think I might want a new camera similar to ye old lx3 but better, bigger zoom range, and smaller form factor. What are my options in the $200-400 range? Bonus points for cost consideration!

Best,

HD

HecticDialectics

ok so it looks like the LX7, the S110, and the RX100 are my choices. The RX100 seems the clear winner if I want to drop $650. Otherwise how close are the LX7 and the S110? I really like the slightly more pocketable form factor, but it seems the LX7 takes better pics than the S110?

HecticDialectics

I like dpreview better than Steve's website. Not very catchy. Steve. Eh. Thanks tho! Definitely don't want the G15 cause it's so damn tall.

• 2 weeks later...
HecticDialectics

Yeah thanks for the suggestion, but that camera will not fit into even a giant man's pocket.

When I requested a smaller form factor and mentioned pocketability, I didn't mean compared to a $5000 full frame camera. I actually meant it in normal person terms.

chippwalters

Perhaps you have't seen a 4/3 form factor? With a 20mm lens, it *does* fit in a pocket. It's much smaller than a traditional mirrored SLR.

If you're looking to go super small, then you may just want to look at using a smartphone. Check out my thread for iPhone pics.

The real challenge is if you can find a decent small camera which also has a *real* macro mode with a decently fast lens.

Here's a link to another micro 4/3 which claims to fit in a pocket.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/10/10/no-excuses-olympus-e-pm1-review-by-amy-medina/

Archived