inTank Media Baskets

100 watt multi-chip 5 channel LED

flypenfly

I'm putting one on a six inch makers heat-sink. Closest think I can think of to a pendant that I would trust to have enough heat-sinking capabilities to run it full blast (126W) even if I don't plan on running it that high.

That said I love over-engineering things. The first stand I DIYed was made out of two by sixes and three quarters inch plywood for a 29 gallon cube. I'm reasonably certain that thing would have held up my car.

Google "Dream Chip LED" - there are quite a bunch of different buillds that have been going on for a while now with some creative and clean looking installs on a chip similar to this with 5 different channels. A few really nice looking pendants too.

Google "Dream Chip LED" - there are quite a bunch of different buillds that have been going on for a while now with some creative and clean looking installs on a chip similar to this with 5 different channels. A few really nice looking pendants too.

you mean this thing?

http://ac-rc.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=158&osCsid=5d48432b0fa83286be26f1ecaaaa48ca

I wonder if this would fit on Milad's version.

http://ac-rc.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=47&osCsid=5d48432b0fa83286be26f1ecaaaa48ca

Yep, that is the original 5 channel chip. There was a huge thread on RC that was taken down a while back. I know they have been working on a version 2, but the last couple group buys had options of:

100 LED Dream Chip:

1) 20 x 10000K

2) 20 x 455nm (blue, beneficial to chlorophyll C)

3) 10 x 420nm, 10 x 430nm (UV range)

4) 20 x 445nm (blue, beneficial to chlorophyll C)

5) 20 x 15000K

50 LED Dream Chip:

1) 10 x 10000K

2) 10 x 455nm (blue, beneficial to chlorophyll C)

3) 5 x 420nm, 5 x 430nm (UV range)

4) 10 x 445nm (blue, beneficial to chlorophyll C)

5) 10 x 15000K

The maker (as you linked above) offers heatsinks designed for the chip as well as optics. Not sure how the one linked in the original post above from the OP compares to the "Dream Chips". No matter which one you buy there are a ton of useful threads on many boards going over different set ups, different drivers, different controllers, etc which I'm sure would apply to the one linked by flypenfly above. I look forward to seeing some build threads here with the chip sold by LEDGROUPBUY. They all seem like a great solution versus wiring 600000 individual LEDS. :)

The maker (as you linked above) offers heatsinks designed for the chip as well as optics. Not sure how the one linked in the original post above from the OP compares to the "Dream Chips". No matter which one you buy there are a ton of useful threads on many boards going over different set ups, different drivers, different controllers, etc which I'm sure would apply to the one linked by flypenfly above. I look forward to seeing some build threads here with the chip sold by LEDGROUPBUY. They all seem like a great solution versus wiring 600000 individual LEDS. :)

In terms of power I would guess the dream chip 100 would beat out Milad's purely because of the number of chips. The 50 would most likely lose to Milad's.

Efficiency its Epistar versus Exotics so I'd place my bet on Milad's chip.

On another note I found an interesting heatsink. Tad Expensive though. Think the makers would look better too.

http://ac-rc.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61&osCsid=5d48432b0fa83286be26f1ecaaaa48ca

Amdphenomx4

It should fit it fine. It's a generic package for 50/100 chip designs. I would still ask for measurements to be sure in case they did some trickery to make it slightly off.

I wish LEDGroupBuy would actually list specifications and output of the LED chips used though. You don't know much about what you're getting. It doesn't even list the white LED color.

The dream chip is an extremely white chip with huge gaps in spectrum. 10k and 15k leds are not optimal by any means. It was the reason I completely ignored it, despite praise from the people putting it together. They refused to accept that neutral white and 660nm red were needed.

The Ledgroupbuy chip should look significantly better, and you don't need to wait on a group buy to get it.

Milad's chips are better due to spectrum, but I would have preferred an extra RB line (10 chips) and fewer cool blue and green chips.

Milad's chips are better due to spectrum, but I would have preferred an extra RB line (10 chips) and fewer cool blue and green chips.

We'll see if it needs them when we get a tank shot with one running.
  • 1 month later...

It was really about preference. The huge thread on RC (since continued on sdreefs) was great for multichips. Now, everyone and their mom is doing one now. The 5 channel dreamchip was a mere vehicle to get things going for the hobby. Not everyone was happy with the final Dreamchip LED selection. I admit that one. I distinctly recall there was another chip to be done in parallel with the initial Dreamchip group buy. LED's were selected and everything, but when it came down to putting money to mouth, the "others" did not walk the walk. So, the Dreachip went forward alone. Anyhow, water way under the bridge. 5 channel multichips are out there for the greater good.

There are some great DIY pendant solutions for 50/100LED multichips. I prefer the gooseneck solution as it's lower profile and looks good over a rimless tank if done correctly. I did this one using a kessil gooseneck and simple mounting hardware anyone can buy at a hardware store.

Here's a shot of mine when I first pieced it together.

20120807_080529.jpg

More shots here but you get the idea: https://picasaweb.google.com/103048473220054692919/Gooseneck

look up nuventix heatsinks-very good and have good looks-digikey sells them and this one is rated for 70w but they have others

dsc02613kp.jpg

pwm fan for it

dsc02614j.jpg

I'm not a fan of dreamchips like the one ledsgourp sells but a heatsink like this will work. I like the highend bridgelux 4k-5.6k leds and then add color. Very good color rendntion and I run mine at 130lm/w!

dsc02612c.jpg

Vivarium with 2x brxa 5000 bridgelux(at 50w each)-6 x RoyalBlue (xt-e)-2 x Blue (xp-g)-2xDeep Red (osarm)-6 x violet groupbuy

20121213123732.jpg

20121213123732.jpg

Nice viv man!

Also, things like the nuventix heatsink are available on ebay pretty widely, but the fan looks good.

Archived