Coral Vue Hydros

My 5g macro pico

leonel619

How are you dealing with the evaporated water? Do you have an auto-top off?
On the other hand, your tank is AMAZING. How's the Blue Line Pipefish doing? Aren't they really hard to keep?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are you dealing with the evaporated water? Do you have an auto-top off?

On the other hand, your tank is AMAZING. How's the Blue Line Pipefish doing? Aren't they really hard to keep?

thanks! i just top off in the morning before work or in the afternoon when i get back. i dont mind it.

the pipefish is going great. this is actually one of the hardiest pipefish. he eats frozen so he isnt a picky eater.

OK so i just purchased a 34g Solana and i'll be moving everything over to that tank. I though about it a lot and didn't really want to do it since the pico is doing so well but i got a very good deal on the tank so i went ahead and got it.

It will continue to be a macro display only MUCH larger. Now i wont have to trim my macros so often and i can let them grow out more.

Also, i wont be using the "disco ball" metal halide that the Solana comes with. I got some LEDs from a friend that I'll be using for the time being.

I'll post pics soon.

thanks! i just top off in the morning before work or in the afternoon when i get back. i dont mind it.

the pipefish is going great. this is actually one of the hardiest pipefish. he eats frozen so he isnt a picky eater.

Oh. So no auto top off machine? Does the salinity levels fluctuate a lot? I'm planning on doing a 5g tank but I'm really intimidated by the thought of how fast the water will evaporate because I won't be able to afford an auto top off machine.

That's really cool! I really want a pipefish but a lot of people said that they're hard to care for. Can a Blue Line Pipefish live comfortably in a 5g? Do you have any experience with dwarf Seahorses? Are they hard to care for besides food?

Sorry if I asked a lot of questions.. A bit of a inquisitive person. haha

Oh. So no auto top off machine? Does the salinity levels fluctuate a lot? I'm planning on doing a 5g tank but I'm really intimidated by the thought of how fast the water will evaporate because I won't be able to afford an auto top off machine.

That's really cool! I really want a pipefish but a lot of people said that they're hard to care for. Can a Blue Line Pipefish live comfortably in a 5g? Do you have any experience with dwarf Seahorses? Are they hard to care for besides food?

Sorry if I asked a lot of questions.. A bit of a inquisitive person. haha

nope, no ATO. I try to keep up on the evap so fluctuation is minimal. or at least i haven't seen any problems. What I've done in the past with other picos is that i make a lid for them. That will lower evaporation significantly. On a 3g pico i used to have i would top off every day and when i placed a lid on it i was topping off once every few days.

Yeah pipefish are sometimes difficult to keep because most will only eat live food. U can try looking for one that is eating frozen food. I got this pipefish very small and he will soon be in a 34g so i wasn't to worried about the size tank he was going in.

I've never kept seahorses although that was the reason behind building this macro tank. I decided against it only because they require cooler water and i don't have a chiller.

nope, no ATO. I try to keep up on the evap so fluctuation is minimal. or at least i haven't seen any problems. What I've done in the past with other picos is that i make a lid for them. That will lower evaporation significantly. On a 3g pico i used to have i would top off every day and when i placed a lid on it i was topping off once every few days.

Yeah pipefish are sometimes difficult to keep because most will only eat live food. U can try looking for one that is eating frozen food. I got this pipefish very small and he will soon be in a 34g so i wasn't to worried about the size tank he was going in.

I've never kept seahorses although that was the reason behind building this macro tank. I decided against it only because they require cooler water and i don't have a chiller.

Does this tank have a lid?

And thank you so much for all the answers!

Does this tank have a lid?And thank you so much for all the answers!
Nope i didnt do one for this one.

Copy cat! :-P
Haha.. I just saw ur thread. Nice tank but mine doesnt have a lid and i have a different light.

OK so i figure i'd keep this thread going and just post my new Solana macro tank here,

here it is after the transfer and with the disco ball metal halide. The tank also came with some live rock and a yellow tang. I kept the rock but the tang had to go:

20130603_220506_zpsa376efd6.jpg

and i also picked up an LED light from a friend and here it is with the new LED on:

20130606_194827_zpse7258d27.jpg

so now that i have more space i want to get another fish or two. Just not sure what i want yet!

Any ideas???

Pygmy angel? they love to swim! or a royal gramma.

i went ahead and adopted a couple chromis. Ill prob add or replace with something else later.

so i've had the solana for a lil while now and i think i started a small cycle when i transferred everything over but everything looks like its settling down.

In the meantime, i went ahead and added a few more macros. I forgot the names but ill look it up later and update with names

Here are some pics!

http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/leo61904/media/DSC_1923_zps9f451a1e.jpg.html'>DSC_1923_zps9f451a1e.jpg

http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/leo61904/media/DSC_1924_zps3c293771.jpg.html'>DSC_1924_zps3c293771.jpg

http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/leo61904/media/DSC_1925_zpsfcee5138.jpg.html'>DSC_1925_zpsfcee5138.jpg

http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/leo61904/media/DSC_1926_zps0ebb8e81.jpg.html'>DSC_1926_zps0ebb8e81.jpg

side shot:

http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/leo61904/media/DSC_1929_zps513874e9.jpg.html'>DSC_1929_zps513874e9.jpg

and the FTS:

http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/leo61904/media/DSC_1918_zpsb506b58b.jpg.html'>DSC_1918_zpsb506b58b.jpg

Please let us know what that is! Very interesting looking!

Thats cympolia barbata, awesome macro and quite hard to come by. When I did my internship at the University of Miami, they had 3 200g vats filled with it lol. Needless to say the grad students let me take some wads home for my tank :rolleyes: .

The tank is looking great, keep up the good work!

Thanks guys!

And yeah, thats cympolia barbata. I actually caught my tailspot blenny picking at it. He is going to be taken out of the tank soon. Hes been bullying my clown too and doesnt let him swim around.

Anyways, i have quite a bit of the c. barbata if anyone wants to trade?? It will be my first time shipping macros but im sure its easy.

Looking good in here. Quite the upgrade from the 5g. You still have lots of room on the back wall. Any plans for that area?

Looking good in here. Quite the upgrade from the 5g. You still have lots of room on the back wall. Any plans for that area?

Thanks.. Yeah i plan on putting some back by the wall too. Also looking for more sponges to put in there. I just picked up an orange pineapple shaped sponge. Ill take a pic later.

• 2 weeks later...

I have green bubble in my tank. Never grows past a tiny little patch, as I have a ton of macros in there. If the rock's already been there fro long, then I don't know if it will be a problem. JME.

If you do decide to get rid of the red bubble, PM me. I want some for my aquarium.

I have green bubble in my tank. Never grows past a tiny little patch, as I have a ton of macros in there. If the rock's already been there fro long, then I don't know if it will be a problem. JME.

If you do decide to get rid of the red bubble, PM me. I want some for my aquarium.

thanks for the reply! this has been in just that one spot so i might just leave it as long as it doesn't spread. besides, i kinda like how it looks. never seen red bubble algae with white and brown colors on it lol

Thats the Largest 5gal Ive ever seen :-\

What did you do with the Pico Tank?

i know right! lol

actually the pico went to my friend who has a 60g cube. he currently has it plumed next to his sump as a macro display. so his purpose lives on! :D

Nice pico! Well done!

thanks!

OK, so i placed my first online order with live-plants.com.

Can't wait for my new macros to arrive (...next week :( ) !

Archived