Pod Your Reef

Muhahaha

Marine-John

Or you could just not be cruel and let the poor thing die...

I know Aiptasia is the scourge of every reef tank, but c'mon...mice are considered a pest in most parts of the country, so if you caught one, would you slice little pieces off it and make it suffer?

Furthermore, if you caught a Jehova's Witness, would you carve digits off? :

Why does everyone hate Aiptasia's so much? I realize there's a lot of negative hype, but I have some friends with FOWLR tanks that have them in there and they're actually pretty cool. They can live with clownfish, gobies, crabs, and snails. Just not corals.

I'm hoping to find a few, and I'll get a 2.5 gallon and throw in some sand and make a little live rock cave, a few small blue-legged hermits, maybe two astrea's, and have a little Aiptasia tank. But, that's just me.

If you really want to watch him suffer, slow-drip some lemon juice in there. ;)

Marine-John

you dont know what i have been through with aiptasia. Its stung loads of my corals, taken over a whole bit of rock which has made me move some of my corals out the way, and makes the tank look totally ugly!!! sure they might be interesting to look at and some might even consider them as 'attractive'. Its just sweet revenge i guess :happy:

too bad, you could've tried to grow it to a monstrous size and then re-sell it back to the lfs as a mutant rose/glass/flower anemone. some small karmic revenge. :)

kraphtymac

My ghost shrimp that are in my freshwater set up TEAR into those things like you wouldn't believe... the aptasia will try to sting them, but they can't unshrivel... Muhahahaha

Originally posted by tinyreef

too bad, you could've tried to grow it to a monstrous size and then re-sell it back to the lfs as a mutant rose/glass/flower anemone.  some small karmic revenge. :)

attachment.php?s=&postid=246424

:P

I've gotten the "best" response from muriatic acid and a 27 gauge syringe...

And just for kicks, several (~5) years ago, I remember reading an article about how outbreaks of parasites (e.g. Cryptocaryon, Amyloodinium, etc.) were less common and of shorter duration in tanks with Aiptasia. Obviously, this would onlly be helpful in FOWLR tanks, but has anyone else run across this info? I'd like to read it again, but have no idea of the source. Basic idea was that they ingested a significant proportion of the free swimming stages...Might have some application in isolation (not quarantine) tanks. Calfo also mentions they might be useful in a "settling filter" by consuming particulate matter. How you keep them from spreading to the display...I have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Conky, I volunteer in a school marine lab and one tank in the lab is known as the aptasia tank, there are some monsters in there and they are left alone. This tank is like the hospital tank! When sea stars lose an arm or only have one arm left, they are thrown in the aptasia tank, where they nearly always recover. A sick angelfish was put in there several months ago and it is doing great, eating like a horse. So yeah, I have no trouble believing a report showing that an aptasia-filled tank is a healthy tank!

Archived