Cultivated Reef

Fromia star diet

wulffenstein

wulffenstein

Does anyone have reference or experience with fromia stars?

Everything I could find said they ate algea and detrius. A day or so ago I saw it over a polyp of my new tubaestra. Today all I see is skeleton. I am a bit concerned.

Any info?

Are you sure it's a Fromia? I've heard of non-reef safe stars getting passed off as Fromia and Linckia spp.

Either way, the red Fromia I had would eat bits of meaty food. I'd suggest trying this with your star, which may keep it away from the polyps.

There are a few types of Fromia, fromia milleporella(red sea star), and fromia sp.(marble sea star). Although I have never heard of either type of them eating corals, they are omnivores with a healthy appetite. It will seek out algae, micro-organisms, and detritus anywhere and everywhere. I would suggest to supplement its diet with shrimp or mussels, and see what happens. If it continues to bother the corals even when it is well fed I would then suggest the following:

1) remove the star from the tank

2) place in direct sunlight on hot asphalt

3) leave the star alone for several days, so it may reflect upon its poor behavior

4) when the star has repented, take it to a low class seafood restaurant and hang its dried carcass on the net on the wall with all the other dried remains of assaorted misbehaved organisms.

JMO ;)

I had an Orange Fromia starfish.

I suspected that it ate my Xenia and removed it. But Xenia continued to go missing after the Fromia was out.

I never fed mine directly. It used to eat algae off the glass and mostly hang around the rocks. I kind of didnt like it too much though as it used to walk over anything, thus disturb corals.

Archived