Coral Vue Hydros

Can I put him in my tank ??

xalex1

Its a big hermit that i found in local beach, All hermits can breath under water write ?? I dont want him to drown. Hers a pic of him , By the way does anyone know what type of hermit he is ??

O and i brought him some new shells he can go into !! His is cracked :)

Thank fro your help !! :)

printerdown01

Not all hermits can breath underwater... If you found him in the water, then your answer is yes... The next questions that you should ask are: how large will he get, and what will he consume/eat? A) you don't really know if he is reef safe. B)Some hermit spp. can grow VERY large! Honestly, I can't tell you either, for I do not know what species of crab he is, or even his genus... He might be just fine in your tank...

*on a side note, be VERY careful of laws regarding harvesting sea creatures for your aquarium!! In MANY cases harvesting can result in felony charges here in the US!!!! We have several beaches in SD that have HUGE penalties for harvesting anything! Sorry, if this post sounds negative, I'm just trying to keep you out of jail ;) . Seriously, I have a friend who is a convicted felon, since he was convicted of trying to take 1 extra abalone (he wasn't even aware of the limit, but ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law).

If you found him in water you should be fine putting him in your tank and he will live. The issues are how big he will get, how aggressive, what will he eat, etc. Keep your eye on him if you do it so you can pull him out if he chooses something to grub on :P /

Pay attention to local law like printerdown01 said. It is unlikey to get caught with a hermit BUT the penalties are stiff

Cameron

Thanks Alots for your help, what im going to do is that i will put him in a plastic container and i will put a rock that surfaces in a bit of salt water if he goes under the water , His Water proof :) If he stay on the rock , He' ll go bac to the beach. At least last night he changed to a better shaell i provided him with :) . His past shell looked like a beat up 1970 ford, Now hes riding a BMW :)

Thanks a lot for your hel;p ~ !!

Archived