little 8gal like the eclipse

HOB aquaclear 150 turning into fuge soon

stock powerhead

9watt compact fluro

10watt stock no fluro hi daylight

5kg LR

3-4 inch dsb - crushed coral

think thats about it... :)

I would suggest getting rid of that substrate(gravel or whatever that stuff is) it is going to be a detritus trap. Replace it with a Dsb(deep sand band) or go bare bottom. Other than it is goin to be awesome. I only say something because my brother had a major chemical imbalance caused from his deep crushed coral bed.

schaferfred

Very nice LR.....Don't mean any disrespect but I agree with ###### about the substrate. You'll save yourself alot of headaches in the future by changing now.

birdman204

What if he is keeping a burrowing creature. I think sometimes experiments are blamed on problems when there are other issues, If overfeeding or overstocking, and a good sifter throught ths substrate is in there, I see no problems (unless it's FW gravel, epoxy covered rocks, then we have a problem).

Dr. Saltwater

If it's crushed LR it's good ... for bacteria, but many burrowing creatures won't go into this stuff because it's not 'natural'. A DSB is something that's soft and burrowing creatures will always burrow.

I also hope that it's not FW gravel, epoxy covered rocks!

birdman204

let me rephrase that. A pistol shrimp , jawfish, and many gobies will LOVE that tank, deep gravel, shallow caves formed by the rocks, I suggest a PIstol shrimp and Stonogobiops sp. combo for that tank....

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/shrimpgobies.htm

one similar to this would be a great size for your tank. I wouldn't suggest any other fish though as the goby won't act "cool" and by cool I mean natural with other fish. If it's the shrimp and the goby, you'll be stoked on the interesting habits they form.

Stonogobiops_nematodesAQ3.jpg

Your tank looks like a ViaAqua to me. By the way, that is some of the BEST live rock i've ever seen!! It looks like Figi rock, but with the corraline coverage and hitchhikers of TBS rock. Where did you get it? Did you buy those corals?

Mike

thanks for the replies...

i think im going to stick wit the crushed coral DSB as my other tank seems to be doing fine if it seems to go down hill then i will change it...the other tank has alot of BIG A$$ worms n stuff in it...

the live rock is REALLY awesome FULL OF LIFE nothing like pet stores sell anywhere a guy that lives in my town goes diving and collects LR LS CORALS and FISH etc and sells the stuff...

im from brisbane AUSTRALIA...

i will keep you all posted on the progression of this little nano of mine...

once again thank you all for your replies...

also can anyone ID my hitchhiker corals i have found? might have to post some better pictures...

thankyou all f*ka

2muchreef4u

i have to disagree with comments about CC being a 'nitrate sink'. i posted a question on the reefcentral message board & here last week and still, no one could give me a staright answer.

my question was:

There's been debated questions about substrate in a reef aquaria. I personally have had success with live arogonite sand, however, I've run into topics where the size of the substrate plays a major role in denitrification.

As an example, 1.0-1.5mm size of sand are favored instead of .25 inches of crushed coral and so forth.

From various researching over the net, I have come to conclude that most everyone agrees that larger particles of 'crushed coral or sand' can become a 'nitrate sink' since detritus matter sets into the crevaces of the larger grains of CC. Since CC is 'crushed' has sharp edges and isn't suitable for micro-organisms such as pods, starfish, worms etc to live, thus, not consume detritus in the substrate.

As a contradiction to this theory, GARF is advertising 'Garf Grunge' as a substrate that micro-organisms seem to thrive in. My question is, if you take a look at the 'Garf Grunge" the substrate is 2 or 3 times larger than CC, but still teeming with micro-organisms.

Here's the link: http://www.garf.org/GRUNGEPLUS1/SHOW/

What's your take on this?

until i get some answers, i'm not sold

The best "DSB" has a range of particulate matter that ranges from .25mm to 2.5mm

I would post the actual data that proves this but I don't want to put that much effort into this discussion. Check out Advanced Aquarist publications

hey acoustic,

well as i said i have had another tank set up since october last year my tank seems to be thriving....

maybe i will change it to a "proper" DSB and see how things go? if i did such a thing would my tank go through another cycle?

anyways i might just get the water tested first and tell you the parameters...

we had a MAJOR black out like a month ago for like 3days straight one nite i was in my room where my tank is and i had like 70 candles in there lol anyways i was looking at my tank and i could slightly see it anyways

there was REALLY long green worms comming out of my cc dsb does that mean things are all good?

id mix some smaller particle sand to the tank if ur gonna keep the cc so you have a nice range of sand,Chris

harbingerofthefish

cjm033-

if you mix CC and sand, over time due to water flow and critters in the tank, the sand will sift down to the bottom any ways. I dont see any benifit of mixing the 2.

***a-

on your hitchhikers...ricordia (nice HH ;) ) and yeah it looks like GSP in the second pic to me as well.

Archived