Pod Your Reef

College 3-Gallon Reef Tank!

Wiilio

Excellent! I'll do some more research on them and see about adding one :) Primary objective: Find one that's tank bred!

Off to bed for now; I have a job interview in the morning. I have to fund these projects somehow, right? ;)

Pics when I get back! Maybe I can get some shots of the neon goby harassing the firefish...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking Macro tank :).

I really like this:

MeGwddp.jpg

Would love to get some of that for my tank (currently just Marcos as well).

I return with pics!

Here are the pics of the middle arch from different angles:

6MlYHtxh.jpg

pMiuoCMh.jpg

This piece of bryothamnion is REALLY growing

pIeyCeYh.jpg

The C. taxifolia is starting to creep up the rock
58xA3MWh.jpg

Skunk cleaner shrimp out for a stroll among the C. prolifera

yCH9bSXh.jpg

And since I have had a couple of requests for pieces of macro, I started a frag tank!
yqun5ODh.jpg

All of the pieces in here were just pieces I found floating around in the bottom of the tank (and the C. taxifolia piece I have was still alive inside my filter!). There's plenty of bryo, a small piece of ochtodes (looks bad now, but I had another clump at the bottom of the tank before and it bounced back beautifully when put in higher light), and a tiny piece of C. taxifolia.

y8nDfxWh.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiny update: I removed the filter pad from the canister filter. Now it's not a "nitrate factory" (although every test I've done read <5PPM for NO3s) and it lets me get a little more volume into the system.

The job interview was moved to Friday morning, and my LFS is on the way back from my job. I need to pick up some reef salt anyway (recommend any brands?), so if I see any YCGs (they've also had green and black clown gobies!) I'll probably pick one up (can't seem to find any tank-bred ones).

Also, the way I have the flow pump set up now, it's giving all of the caulerpa a nice gentle push to the left, which adds some nice motion... but I keep thinking it'd be really cool if I could get one of those wave maker pumps (one that clips onto the glass so I wouldn't need to have the cord in the tank) to give a stronger push to the right from time to time, making things look more interesting and adding more flow. Could someone recommend a good pump for that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I genuinely thank everyone who has responded to this thread, especially those of you who have followed! It's really nice to know that there are people on here that appreciate my little box of ocean :)

Thanks for reading!

Nice looking pics.

I would be interested in getting some bryothamnion from you. No idea where to find it around here.

Sure! I'm sure by the end of the summer I'll have plenty, so I can send you a nice bunch :) Unless you just want a tiny piece or two. In that case I could probably have that within the next 2-4 weeks.

My mom wanted pictures of my fish tanks to show her students, so I figured I'd just show you all as well.

Here's my 5.5 gallon freshwater:

WX7ekXa.jpg

And of course, the 10 gallon macro:

vpIHzDM.jpg

Also, I thought this shot was cool. It shows how much the bryo has grown since I added it to the tank (you can tell by where it starts growing upwards). Also, shrimp molt:

dsgj3vf.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to the LFS tomorrow. I'm getting reef salt, for sure, and I'd love brand recommendations. Also might get a yellow clown goby (if they have one that's eating well) and a yasha goby (if they even have one). I'd also love to get something for the right side of the tank; nothing goes over there! The firefish stays on the right, the neon goby hovers around the firefish, and the cleaner shrimp has taken up shop under the overhang with the big ochtodes cluster. Recommendations are always welcome.

Thanks for reading!

Mr. Microscope

Fun tank! Looking good. Once it fills in, you're really going to have a forest there. Good luck!

Fun tank! Looking good. Once it fills in, you're really going to have a forest there. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to everything growing in :) If the ochtodes spreads like I want it to... oh man, fun times.

Just ordered one of those AquaClear 70 combos! I mainly wanted it for the skimmer, but it'll be a nice place to put some filter floss that can easily be removed and cleaned. And I can easily add purigen if I ever add corals ;)

Trip to the LFS tomorrow, after my job interview :)

Mr. Microscope

If the ochtodes spreads like I want it to... oh man, fun times.

Love the ochtodes! Awesome color.

Trip to the LFS tomorrow, after my job interview :)

That'll be an awesome reward. Good luck!

Love the ochtodes! Awesome color.

Yessir! They're purple right now (almost magenta), but if they spread to the bottom of the rocks, I'm hoping there will be a gradual change to blue that would look amazing.

I got the job! I was hoping to celebrate by picking up a fish, but they didn't have either one I wanted :/ Instead I got some more salt and my own refractometer (so I don't have to take my water to the store to test it).

Hopefully they'll get the fish in within the next week.

Mr. Microscope

Props to you for holding off on buying livestock. It can be tough not to come home with something sometimes, but I've always regretted impulse buys.

The refractometer was a great investment! You'll be able to use it for the life of your hobby and not just the life of your tank.

Props to you for holding off on buying livestock. It can be tough not to come home with something sometimes, but I've always regretted impulse buys.

The refractometer was a great investment! You'll be able to use it for the life of your hobby and not just the life of your tank.

Yeah I hate coming home with no new livestock, but I know it's for the best.

And yeah, it was definitely a good buy. I tested the frag tank and it's at 1.027 (higher than what I thought, but not problematic), and the 10-gallon was at 1.021 (lower than what I thought, and I brought it up to 1.024).

Congrats on the job!

Now, hurry up and make your stuff grow faster so we can trade Macros :)

Thank you! The lights are already on 12 hours a day xD Pretty sure any more than that would cause algae problems.

Great idea for a tank! Looks great!

Thanks! Can't wait for it to grow in :)

You can get brothammnion(spelling) at live-plants.com on occasion.

Looks good! Although corallines would be nice to seed with.

You can get brothammnion(spelling) at live-plants.com on occasion.

Looks good! Although corallines would be nice to seed with.

That's where I got all of mine!

And thank you! There's a bit of coralline starting to pop up, but I do wish it would start coming in quicker.

I'll be a field assistant at a research facility. I'll be researching soil samples for a certain type of fungus that is harmful to humans and animals, and seeing if a substance will eliminate it. I'll also be working with grad students from time to time.

Cool, I worked at a bio-chem laboratory one summer sampling water from streams and wells on a contract with the department of highways to make sure new road systems weren't polluting natural habitats. It was super fun, I got paid more than I should, and spent most of the summer outside playing in creeks and all my meals were paid for. Man it was sweet.

So I went back to college last night and this morning... came back to a dead cleaner shrimp :/ He was in the pistol shrimp's hole, so I'm assuming it attacked and ate it... probably not getting enough food?

Can't get that shrimp goby soon enough :/ But they have it on their list.

Archived