Top Shelf Aquatics

10g wish list, comments appreciated

ChloroPhil

ChloroPhil

Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up a 10g AGA SPS system and would like your thoughts on my fish wish list.

Specs (has or will have)

AC 500 fuge

70w HQI

2x36w 03 actinic PC

15lbs LR

15lbs LS

Assorted SPS and polyps

Assorted snails

3 blue leg hermits

1 cleaner shrimp

I'd eventually like to have:

1 Royal Gramma

1 High-Fin Goby http://www.cosmos.ne.jp/~breach/Fish%20col...ll/goby030.html

1 Neon Goby

Another shrimp of some sort.

What are your thoughts on that stocking?

Best,

Phil Edwards

Charlotte, NC

Dr. Saltwater
Originally posted by ChloroPhil

Assorted SPS and polyps

Assorted snails

3 blue leg hermits

1 cleaner shrimp

I'd eventually like to have:

1 Royal Gramma

1 High-Fin Goby http://www.cosmos.ne.jp/~breach/Fish%20col...ll/goby030.html

1 Neon Goby

Another shrimp of some sort.  

What are your thoughts on that stocking?

- Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto); looks fine to me.

- High-Fin Goby ((Stonogobiops nematodes); when settled, they will have a small territory and hey will defend it. Symbiose with Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus sp.).

[Those 2 could be fighting in the future, watch them closely]

- Neon Goby blue (Gobiosoma oceanops); good choice, very nice fish.

- Another shrimp of some sort -> Maybe the Alpheus sp. that lives in symbioses with the High-FIn Goby?

Dr. Saltwater

ChloroPhil

Dr. Saltwater,

I've only found a little information on the goby so far. Would the agression between the two fish be territorially based?

I know the gramma likes some sort of cave/hiding hole and that the goby would prefer to live in a hole in the sand w/the shrimp. Would you say that the gramma requires a cave dug out of the sand or would an enclosed area within the rock pile be sufficient? Which of the two would you recommend adding first if I were to chose both fish?

Thank you,

Phil Edwards

Dr. Saltwater
Originally posted by ChloroPhil

Dr. Saltwater,

I've only found a little information on the goby so far.  Would the agression between the two fish be territorially based?

Yes, it's just a matter of to little space I think. When you buy a fish or invert you should keep the adult lenght in mind.

I have lots of information ;) , so here's a little for you:

High-Fin Goby

Gobiidae

Stonogobiops nematodes

Indo-Pacific

72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12

Up to 2 inches

It's not agressive against other shrimp gobies if kept in a tank that's large enough (often 30Gal). They like to be kept with Alpheus randalli (Symbiosis Shrimp) and

They feed on mysid shrimp, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp and chopped table shrimp. They eventually will take all the food you give them. It needs to be fed at least two times per day.

Often confused with the Stonogobiops xanthorhinica that grows up to 4 inches. The last species has no long fin.

I know the gramma likes some sort of cave/hiding hole and that the goby would prefer to live in a hole in the sand w/the shrimp.  Would you say that the gramma requires a cave dug out of the sand or would an enclosed area within the rock pile be sufficient?  Which of the two would you recommend adding first if I were to chose both fish?

You should create more than 1 spot for both of the Fish so they can choose themselfs. If you realy want them both, introduce them at exactly the same time on different sides of the tank.

Dr. Saltwater

ChloroPhil

Here's the tank before sand, I think the goby and shrimp will have plenty of choices for their preferred home:

100_1184.jpg

Here's with sand:

100_1186.jpg

Where do you think the gramma would prefer to live? I'm planning on putting some Montipora capricornis in there once I've got the lighting. Do you think the gramma would find that kind of cover and shade desirable or would it want a cave in/under the rocks as well?

Thanks for your help so far,

Phil

Dr. Saltwater

ChloroPhil,

those are very nice pics!

I see a very nice tank for Stonogobiops nematodes but for the Gramma loreto you could use some more LR in the middle/right of the tank so you get an overhanging piece of LR.

Montipora capricornis is also very nice but isn't the number 1 place to live of the Gramma loreto. Besides, the Gramma loreto lives in deep-water, it actually prefers caves and extensive rockwork, as well as a somewhat subdued lighting arrangement.

Montipora capricornis often needs a high place in the tank what also makes it less suitable.

It doesn't have to but it is better to give natural hiding places. When I see the tank like this, there's enough room ... put them in the same time (left and right) and keep an eye on them!

Good luck!

Dr. Saltwater

Phil.....nice lookin tank but....resist the pistol shrimp....I know they look great together but I tried it....after 4 days I had to remove all the rock work from my tank to dig the little bugger out and take him back to the LFS. After 3 or 4 days of digging and back filling his way around the tank he stirred up soo much debris that all my corals were spitting mucus and the tank water was nothing but a cloudy mess.

BTW...I have a similar set-up to yours.

Nice Set-up...

Just a little advice, you shouldnt mix the royal gamma with the cleaner shrimp, I have a 7gal and when i introduced my gamma it started to harrass the shrimp and by the next day, the shrimp was half eaten... Maybe it was really starved when i brought it back from the LFS. Or maybe that gamma's really anal. It attacked my oceallaris for trespassing and is very possesive of several "caves" in my rockwork. Very greedy and selfish fish that gamma and i hope it dies of some parasitic disease really soon. But if you like to see nature's pretty predators at work go ahead with having a gamma... and yea i think i read somewhere that some gammas eat ornamental shrimps... So good luck!

ChloroPhil

Anyone else have an opinion?

The LFS recently got some Pseudochromis springeri in and it's looking like they're another good choice for my tank. How do y'all think they would go with a Gramma or Goby?

Best,

Phil

xcajx,

Thank you for the compliment. After the health of the inhabitants, a natural looking aquascape is my main goal with this aquarium. I've been trying to figure out where exactly to put corals in the future and I'm finding it a much harder proposition than I originally thought, mainly because of the integrity of the hardscape.

Unfortunately, I'm not the kind of person that can just have one or two corals here and there. If I've got coral then they're going to be all over the place, otherwise it has to be FOWLR. I guess this is a good position to be in, at least I don't have to worry about re-scaping the rock to make the tank look decent without corals.

Thanks again,

Phil

I wouldn't reccomend anything with a pseudo in a small tank....if anything, i would put an orchid dottyback, he is probably the most docile and best bet to mix with a goby, but its stil a risk...

a_fool_for_fish

i totally agree with vcurams05 my friend had a pseudo in his 35 and it beat the crap out of his pair of clowns

HTH

vcurams05 and a_fool_for_fish,

Thank you for your opinions, every little bit helps me get a better idea of what life is like in the tank outside of the book. :)

Best,

Phil

Archived