SaltCritters.com

Tank progression, now what?

realhiphop

I set up my tank around a full week ago. I added 12 lbs. of Cured Kaelini Rock and have 15 lbs. of special grade reef sand. I'm running 2 minjets, using RO water with IO Salt.

Last Sat., my readings for ammonia was at 0.8, and my nitrites were at 1.0. I added a cup of sand from an established tank on wed., and just did new tests today. All my readings were at 0, with my nitrates at 10. How should I proceed with my tank now? Since there was really no life on the rock to begin with, will adding a clean up crew bring about a huge new cycle? I'm just basically looking for suggestions as far as a next step.

I would do a small water change but personally I would hold off until you get a little algae going. If you've got some already than by all means go for it.

My 7 nano took about 3 weeks to develope anything and I didn't add any snails or crabs till then. I was concerned they may not have enough to eat.

Cameron

printerdown01

I wouldn't do a water change at all, but it is a personal thing... I agree with Cameron, I would wait until you get algae and then pick up a clean up crew... Your cycle is probably no where near over, just so you aren't surprised when all of your test begin to go up again! If you have algae that came on your rocks, I would say that it would be safe to pick up your crew now... I added my crew within the first week of my tank's life -everyone was happy. This also helped out when my algae blooms started!! -THANK GOD FOR SNAILS, or I would have had a tank full of algae!!

Don't you hate a thread where everyone agrees! IMO, with nitrates at 10 and everything else at 0 it really doesn't matter if you do a water change. I would wait to add a clean up crew until you see some signs of life. I waited three weeks and added a variety of snails, just as I was getting my first algae bloom. The algae got gone, the snails got fat, and everyone was happy.;)

Archived