ReefCleaners.org

Power Outage???

Inpha

Howdy all,

I was just thinking about power outages (Albany/Troy area is without power for supposedly the next few days because of a bad T-Storm), and was wondering what you guys have as backups etc in case of power outages. Also if anybody is effected by the power outages... good luck with your tanks etc......

printerdown01

Try to keep your home at a decent temp, LOL. I have no idea... I have had power outages in the past that lasted for almost an entire day... I just broke the syphon between my tank and sump, and unplugged the pumps :-/ . I don't know what else to tell you, sorry... So far no deaths due to outages... Knock on wood!!

I had an overnight power outage two weeks ago, and it killed my xenia, but everything else lived. The temperature was only down to 75 when I got up, but between that and the stagnant water, there seems to have been enough stress on the poor things.

Sadly, my outage was cat-induced. He had managed to unplug my power strips.

Don't know what a good way to handle outages would be. You could run a heater off a computer type backup cell for a good chunk of time, I imagine.

i'd recommend trying mirrors (sunlight) for light/heat. blankets or dry newspaper to insulate.

corner the market on ice packs from a store for cooling. wet towels or newspapers to cool down through evaporation. temporarily take off hood and lights to aid evaporation and cooling. have makeup water handy, 5g of stainless steel distilled or ro/di drinking water bottles. (chilled if possible and add via drip)

there are some battery powered air pumps for movement, aeration, and cooling.

When 9/11 rolled over us, my parents lost power at their apartment for a few hours and had no tank related problems. They did lose power for one day this summer and the heat caused a catastrophic meltdown in their tank. A friend of mine services three tanks at a business located a few blocks from 9/11 and their three tanks (over 5000 gallons total -shark, reef and cichlids) were left unattended for 10 days (no power for a few of those days but the total dark days is not known) and when the office was reopened, there wasn't one critter lost.

It depends on the circumstances, how healthy the tank is and luck.

there has been a time where power went out in my area for few hours..and i was mixing the water manually with a spoon to circulate the water... HAHA

Archived