Top Shelf Aquatics

[Innovative Marine Nuvo 24] April Giveaway Build Thread

defender.TX

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it's definitely on my short list. My wife reminded me that before I go of replacing things I already have, like the light, I should probably get equipment that I need, like a protein skimmer. So next month I'm putting together a big list of everything I originally planned that I haven't gotten yet and I'll push the light of to 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

Your tank is looking good! Needs more coral though.... maybe get some fast growing softies that will take up some space?

Yeah or euphylia a thy add lots off movement and won't sting each other so you could make an island full of them

I couldn't agree more! So...this has always been a budget build. We're a family of four on one income and to be honest the tank probably wouldn't have even happened (at least at this scale, I was planning a PicO I or Nuvo 8) if I didn't win it. Luckily once I won the tank my amazing wife was as excited as I was and didn't have a problem sacrificing to get it all setup. We're not starving to have the tank by any means, but it moves slow. Once I had the tank up and cycling we found out my wife was pregnant again, so coral isn't always the top priority. Again, if it weren't for how awesome my wife was this tank would have been broken down and sold already with the news of the new baby.

I've mainly been focused on getting everything moved over to the new tank. I made the transition successfully Saturday and only lost my Ricordea. It immediately bleached the rest of the way and my cleaner shrimp ate the half that curled up and died. We'll see if it comes around but I have no more hope for the Ricordea. Everything else looks better than ever. My Candy Canes have even gotten a ton of green coloration (compared to where they started, almost brown).

Now that I'm in the new tank, I've got a ton of upgrades planned for November. Due to some circumstances at work I'll have some extra cash and I'll be playing catchup with the tank: skimmer, ATO, media baskets.

At this point my vision for the tank is to fill it up with mostly colorful LPS and Zoas. Honestly, due to my office moving I'm going to have to move again in 8 months or so and I'm worried expensive SPS wouldn't make the move. However, I've got Austin Aqua Farms local to me and I plan on getting some small colorful Acan, Blasto, and Euphyllia frags in the hopes they will fill out the tank.

Honestly, if I wait until I have the cash to buy a $50 frag it's not going to happen. My only choice is to get small colorful $20 frags and be patient as they grow out over the years.

Thanks for following along! Sorry it's coming along so slow.

That's no problem man, go slow... it's way more enjoyable to grow out tiny frags into colonies that you'll be proud of, versus paying upfront to get a big piece. I was just suggesting that maybe you should try some GSP, xenias, or leather coral as they are significantly cheaper and will grow faster and take up some space in the tank while you work on adding your choice LPS pieces. You can always remove them later on if you feel like you don't like them anymore... just a suggestion!! :D

I agree with the above, also it allows your tank more time to settle. More tinkering time and a lot more pay off

When you have the time I'd love a fts

I was just suggesting that maybe you should try some GSP, xenias, or leather coral as they are significantly cheaper and will grow faster and take up some space in the tank while you work on adding your choice LPS pieces. You can always remove them later on if you feel like you don't like them anymore... just a suggestion!! :D

I want to do this, just haven't seen any Xenia or GSP for sale yet at the local shops that's affordable. My main LFS has Xenia and GSP colonies for $30-50! Granted, they are huge, but that's not what I'm looking for. Austin Aqua Farms has the beautiful blue and red leathers that I want to grab for cheap but I haven't made the drive up to North Austin yet to do so - I was waiting to do the tank transfer first.

If you ever head down to College Station or West Houston let me know... I can definitely hook you up with lots of softies! Don't pay that much for softies at the store... definitely save that $$$ for LPS

If you ever head down to College Station or West Houston let me know... I can definitely hook you up with lots of softies! Don't pay that much for softies at the store... definitely save that $$$ for LPS

If I'm going to head that way I'll definitely let you know!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Defender, you wouldn't happen to still have the original box and get external measurments of it for me? that'd be great man!

Hey Defender, you wouldn't happen to still have the original box and get external measurments of it for me? that'd be great man!

The original box of the Nuvo? I do not still have it, sorry man!

As for updates, I picked up a Metallic Red Mushroom yesterday that absolutely glows. I'm getting a Firefish later this week, a Tunze Nano Osmolator, screen top, and a skimmer. Pics to come soon.

Whatskimmer

I haven't ordered the skimmer yet. I'm flip flopping between the Tunze 9002 with the loose magnet from InTank and the IM SkimMate. I know a lot of people are having issues with micro bubbles on the SkimMate but I've also seen that solved by proper water level and tuning...so I'm not sure if the Tunze is worth the extra money.

Tunze Nano Osmolator and BRS 3 Foot Screen Top kit should be here by the end of the week!

I haven't ordered the skimmer yet. I'm flip flopping between the Tunze 9002 with the loose magnet from InTank and the IM SkimMate. I know a lot of people are having issues with micro bubbles on the SkimMate but I've also seen that solved by proper water level and tuning...so I'm not sure if the Tunze is worth the extra money.

Tunze Nano Osmolator and BRS 3 Foot Screen Top kit should be here by the end of the week!

Beware of the overflows with the IM...much bigger concern than the micro bubbles in my opinion. After a nearly 5 month break-in period, my IM skimmer has been behaving for the past 3 weeks, knock on wood. Good luck!

Don't overlook the CADLights PLS50, my friend opened a fish store in my area recently and that little sucker is on display hanging in one of his 125 gallon frag beds and it pulls skimate like nobody's business. It's also tiny at 3.5x3.5x15". And cheap as all get out too.

Don't overlook the CADLights PLS50, my friend opened a fish store in my area recently and that little sucker is on display hanging in one of his 125 gallon frag beds and it pulls skimate like nobody's business. It's also tiny at 3.5x3.5x15". And cheap as all get out too.

Yea I'll take that into consideration. Now there's three competitors in the ring...

i'm not sure that will fit in a Nuvo 24. i wanted one but the Nuvo 24 has only 2.75" width in the rear while the Nuvo 38 has 4.3".

i'm not sure that will fit in a Nuvo 24. i wanted one but the Nuvo 24 has only 2.75" width in the rear while the Nuvo 38 has 4.3".

I had the same worry you did. But I actually emailed CAD Lights sales department and asked them about the dimensions. They said many folks have ordered the PLS-50 for the Nuvo 24 and that it will fit in the back chamber. I made sure to ask about the dimensions, including the mounting bracket, which seems to be rather large. When my Nuvo 24 is more stocked and I'm ready to get a skimmer (and ATO), I will be purchasing this one to try it out. I've heard too many mixed reviews about the Tunze and IM skimmers. I am wondering why I haven't been able to find reviews of this skimmer on the IM 24. Is it pretty new?

So an interesting thing happened last night. I was working with my hands in the tank barefoot and my fingers started stinging and tingling. I immediately recognized the sensation as some stray voltage, so to test it out I put on some rubber soled shoes and dipped one hand back in the tank - nothing. Took the shoes back off, uncomfortable stinging sensation. I busted out my multimeter, stayed barefoot, grabbed the black probe with my hand and dipped the red probe in the water: 3.4 VAC.

I turned off my pumps/powerheads one at a time and it definitely seems to be the main return pump that came with the Nuvo. The Koralia Nano only induces around .1 VAC. I don't know if the pump is going bad or if it's always been doing this and I haven't noticed because I've had shoes on. It also seemed like the most uncomfortable sensation was around a cut on my finger - the fingers that didn't have a cut on them didn't feel it as much.

To be on the safe side I'm ordering a Titanium Grounding Pole and hopefully my return pump isn't going out.

Ok, I think this means I definitely will be going with two mj1200's in my tank.

Any pump is going to introduce stray voltage. It doesn't have to do with the quality of the pump, it has to do with the size of the magnetic field generated by the pump. Some people with very large tanks (and very large return pumps) will measure 30-40 VAC in the tank. It's usually low current so you don't feel it. If you take off your shoes and have a cut or scrape where the current can easily travel (skin is not a great conductor), then you can feel it.

The real takeaway here is that almost everybody should be running a Titanium Grounding Pole in their tank. For $15 it's an incredibly cheap insurance policy.

Archived