ReefCleaners.org

New macros

XxViEtXjUStiNxX

• 2 weeks later...
XxViEtXjUStiNxX

Awesome shots, what're shooting with?

Thanks! Sony NEX-5N with 100mm f/3.5 Vivitar ($100 on ebay, what a steal!)

How do you like the camera? They seem to good to be true at that price.

edit: obviously they perform with pictures like those...

XxViEtXjUStiNxX

How do you like the camera? They seem to good to be true at that price.

edit: obviously they perform with pictures like those...

I got the camera for $400 brand new shipped to my door. I couldn't be any happier with it, especially at this price point.

XxViEtXjUStiNxX

nice! i may have to look into it, seems like a pretty nice camera.

You don't need a high end camera that cost $700 to take nice pictures. I personally think it's more about skill and technique than the equipment.

khriistian

I agree with Justin, you don't need anything expensive to get really good results like this. I hope people here stop recommending cameras and lens that cost a $1000.

Every artist and person with knowledge in a field will get the best result they can get with what they have. These pictures are amazing, ones of the best I have seen around.

I agree with Justin, you don't need anything expensive to get really good results like this. I hope people here stop recommending cameras and lens that cost a $1000.

The problem here is that the camera of subject is a Sony NEX. Price:performance ratio, these are some of your more expensive camera. They are designed similar to a typical point and shoot however and that is something that some people like. Lenses are certainly not a bargain either. They are a good quality glass and nice build. When all is said and done, An NEX is every bit of a $1000 camera.

You can take the option to go with some dirt cheap vivitar lenses. Vivitar lenses are a good way to go for any brand of camera if you are looking for something on the cheap.

khriistian

The problem here is that the camera of subject is a Sony NEX. Price:performance ratio, these are some of your more expensive camera. They are designed similar to a typical point and shoot however and that is something that some people like. Lenses are certainly not a bargain either. They are a good quality glass and nice build. When all is said and done, An NEX is every bit of a $1000 camera.

You can take the option to go with some dirt cheap vivitar lenses. Vivitar lenses are a good way to go for any brand of camera if you are looking for something on the cheap.

The Sony NEX he owns is a 5N and the price is around $500 dollars. Now that you mentioned a used macro lens in my other post you can get that camera used for around 430 still cheaper than recommending a set for amateur photographers that cost $1000 doesn't it?

The Sony NEX he owns is a 5N and the price is around $500 dollars. Now that you mentioned a used macro lens in my other post you can get that camera used for around 430 still cheaper than recommending a set for amateur photographers that cost $1000 doesn't it?

Absolutely not. At $500, that camera is just as expensive as any Canon or Nikon DSLR that anyone reccomends to an amateur photographer. On top of that, there are no viable macro lenses for it. The only macro lens sony makes for it is a 30mm and that is $300 which puts your camera at $800. If all goes well, you might be able to find a vivitar 100mm macro that mounts to it, which those have been discontinued.

You can get the same thing for a Canon or Nikon body as well and if cheaper is what you are looking at, a Canon t3 body cost as low as $279 used. As for new macro lenses, the common reccommended lenses for canon are the 60mm and the 100mm. With the 100mm only costing $80 more than a 60mm, it's easy to see why it would be reccommended over the 60mm.

If someone wants to save money, they have all the option they want to buy something at a cheaper price. When people reccommend a 100mm macro lens, that does not mean they have to pay $500. The normal price for a used one is $350 and that is a far stretch from $1000.

Solarflare8806

omg I shoot with an NEX 5 and a 100mm f/3.5 Minolta! I love my camera... a little old but still great. I might look at upgrading to nex 6 or 7 or maybe something sony comes up with in the future. Do you like your camera?

oops I got excited when you said you had an Nex and didn't read all the way through where you told us you love it lol

Solarflare8806

Absolutely not. At $500, that camera is just as expensive as any Canon or Nikon DSLR that anyone reccomends to an amateur photographer. On top of that, there are no viable macro lenses for it. The only macro lens sony makes for it is a 30mm and that is $300 which puts your camera at $800. If all goes well, you might be able to find a vivitar 100mm macro that mounts to it, which those have been discontinued.

You can get the same thing for a Canon or Nikon body as well and if cheaper is what you are looking at, a Canon t3 body cost as low as $279 used. As for new macro lenses, the common reccommended lenses for canon are the 60mm and the 100mm. With the 100mm only costing $80 more than a 60mm, it's easy to see why it would be reccommended over the 60mm.

If someone wants to save money, they have all the option they want to buy something at a cheaper price. When people reccommend a 100mm macro lens, that does not mean they have to pay $500. The normal price for a used one is $350 and that is a far stretch from $1000.

I bought My sony Nex for $315 used on ebay with the 30mm macro lens. I bought an minolta 100mm macro lens which is a great lens for $100. That puts me with an APS-c Sensor for less than $500 bucks. I think you should compare used canons with used sony nex.

I personally love my NEX. I like to buy older lenses and adapters for it.

XxViEtXjUStiNxX

You are very mistaken. As stated above, I bought my camera $400 BRAND NEW, TAX FREE and surely will take nicer pictures than a used Canon t3 which is well over two years old.

There are ton of ebay lenses that are compatible with mirrorless cameras and they definitely aren't hard to find. I bought my brand new Vivitar for $100 so in total, $500 for a brand new APS senor camera with a 18-55 and a 100mm macro. You'd be hard pressed to find a better deal for new equipment any where, Canon and Nikon included.

I bought My sony Nex for $315 used on ebay with the 30mm macro lens. I bought an minolta 100mm macro lens which is a great lens for $100. That puts me with an APS-c Sensor for less than $500 bucks. I think you should compare used canons with used sony nex.

I personally love my NEX. I like to buy older lenses and adapters for it.

Buying old lenses and adapters actually sounds like a great idea. I Know I have seen a lot of old film camera F mount canon lenses on craigslist for really cheap. They may not look like anything special but just because they are an old lens does not mean they lack quality in the glass. How much are the adaptors to fit a NEX usually running?

Solarflare8806

Buying old lenses and adapters actually sounds like a great idea. I Know I have seen a lot of old film camera F mount canon lenses on craigslist for really cheap. They may not look like anything special but just because they are an old lens does not mean they lack quality in the glass. How much are the adaptors to fit a NEX usually running?

I have two adapters right now, one Leica L39 to NEX and one Minolta MD to Nex, each cost around $10-$15 shipped from the US. I really love using older lenses, you just gotta learn manual focus but I feel like this helped my photography skill tremendously.

I have two adapters right now, one Leica L39 to NEX and one Minolta MD to Nex, each cost around $10-$15 shipped from the US. I really love using older lenses, you just gotta learn manual focus but I feel like this helped my photography skill tremendously.

That is something that I can't argue with. While there are things that Autofocus is best at, manual focus is often a great way to go, especially if you are focusing based on a view screen. At $15 for an adapter, the is certainly worth getting and playing with some older lenses.

Archived