Pod Your Reef

The best market in the hobby?

loveforfish

loveforfish

I recently thought it would be fun to start a tank for propagating corals and trading/selling them for money or product to put back into the hobby. Then I started wondering what is the most demanding part in this hobby. If you were able to pick 1 thing to be a professional at and make profit in this hobby what would it be? Would you breed fish, propagate coral, build custom aquariums, maintain peoples aquariums, design and build your own lighting system, maybe build custom stands or refugiums... Everything in this hobby costs money and all of it has to come from somewhere. What would be the most profitable area of this hobby?

loveforfish

I would say right now leds are the market for the hobby.They are new and have potential for advancements.

I agree. I have seen how far the lights have come in this hobby.

There is money to be made in high end zoas, palys, and chalices. Stands are tough, people apotheosize over them but don't want to spend the money, especially the extra money to ship. Aquariums or lights would be good too, but I feel business would start very slow until you build the clientele... although every business has to start somewhere.

So there ya have it pretty much everything has been spoken for and the market is for saltwater stuff in general lol.You usually cant have one without the other.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived